Sign in to follow this  

Debug

This topic is 4100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For some reason the debugger will break on breakpoints on half the time. It tends to not work more often then it does. Is there anywhere where I can make sure that I set up the debugger right?

yep it is. I just had it where it wasn't breaking on a line of code and then it did once and now it's not anymore.

[edit]
wait maybe your right.

hmm... isn't there a way to view the the last function calls. I forget when you call it but it'll give you a listing of where you've been in your code. I know java can do it. am I making sense?

[edit]
nevermind, it's not working again and for no reason.

[Edited by - ELFanatic on September 17, 2006 8:03:03 PM]

Are you sure you're running a debug build and not a release build?
If, for some reason, MSVS can't resolve the address of one of your breakpoints (and hence can't place an INT3 there), the breakpoint will appear with a question mark inside at runtime.
If you have no question mark, then the code probably isn't being called.

Regards
Admiral

To TheAdmiral: yeah, I looked into that, and I thought it was good but I just now noticed something. When I run it I get this message in the debug window "D3D9 Helper: Enhanced D3DDebugging disabled; Application was not compiled with D3D_DEBUG_INFO" How do I fix that?

COleException: I went to debug->windows but I didn't see call stack. I have break points and immediate. I'm using the Direct3D debugger. Do you think that might be why I can't select call stack. maybe I have to do something different?

Quote:
COleException: I went to debug->windows but I didn't see call stack. I have break points and immediate. I'm using the Direct3D debugger. Do you think that might be why I can't select call stack. maybe I have to do something different?

The "Call Stack"-entry in "Debug - Windows" is only visible, when your program already runs in debug-mode.

First make sure, that you really are in Debug-Build-mode, as TheAdmiral mentioned:

1. Go to "Build/Configuration Manager..." and choose "Debug" for "Active Solution Configuration".

2. Press "F5". That builds your solution and starts debugging. When the program runs, and/or you are staying in a breakpoint (I think, at least some breakpoints are working at your solution, are they?), go to "Debug - Windows" again, then you see a lot more options. One of it is "Call Stack".

Please tell us, what configuration you have now, when you open The "Configuration Manager", I can't believe it's on "Debug" now.

When everything else in your solution is right, means when you really are in debug-mode and you are SURE your code, where the breakpoint is, is really called: perhaps your ncb-File is corrupted. It has the same name and is in the same folder as your solution, e.g.

"mysolution.sln"
then the ncb-file is called
"mysolution.ncb"

Close your Visual Studio, delete the *.ncb-file and start the solution again.

HTH

The PDB's are where debugging information gets stored. NCB's hold information for Intellisense and class view, et cetera. You'll want to delete the PDB's if you suspect your debug information is corrupt, and then check the settings related to PDB generation in the configuration manager.

sorry for the delay in my reply. school and work, I never have time for anything! anyways. I double checked the configuration manager and it does indeed say debug and I deleted the pdb file and rebuilt and ran it and still problems but here's something I figured out. The debugger is crashing on the break points. my code concealed this from me at first because it was crashing on it's own but I fixed the problem and now it runs fine until I set a break point. I figured that out by bringing up the task manager. It says [break] after my project name so I assume that to mean that it is indeed breaking plus when I end the runtime through task manager when I go back to visual studio it pops up with a message that says something about no source code to read so I'm thinking that it was at a break point but now that I ended the program it has nothing to read.

my god, I just read through this and I don't think I mentioned that I'm using DirectX and thus using the DirectX debugger. I'm pretty confident that I didn't set it up right.

This topic is 4100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.