Sign in to follow this  

[.net] [Visual C#] Accessing Folders outside of the Bin folder

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am trying to store all my art and media and etc. in a folder, and is trying to store it outside the Bin folder. However, no matter how I try, I just can't seem to specify the path. Here's the directory structure Bin +- Debug +- Release Media From inside the program, I have tried @"..\..\Media\TransformTextured.fx" but it does not work. What other alternatives are there? Thanks in advance!

Sometimes the root directory gets changed through the course of your application and isn't always start in your executable's directory. Instead, reference files explicitly by making your paths like this:

string path = Application.StartupPath + "myImagePath.bmp";

The only thing I would say on top of Etherstar's reply is that Application.StartupPath doesn't always end with a trailing slash (I think it does if the startup location is something like "C:\" but I'm not 100% sure on that). Using System.IO.Path.Combine can take care of that problem for you though so your code could look something like...
System.IO.Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, @"..\..\Media\TransformTextured.fx");

All the best,
ViLiO

Application.StartupPath is good most of the time, but you'd have to reference System.Windows.Forms.dll if you want to use it in a console app.

Here's a solution that will always give you the full path to wherever your exe is located:

string basePath = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(Environment.GetCommandLineArgs()[0]);

Environment.GetCommandLineArgs() will always have the full path to your exe as the first argument. Using Path.GetDirectoryName strips the file name from that.

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.