C#

Started by
5 comments, last by Rob Loach 17 years, 7 months ago
I wanna try my hand at making simple games, XNA stuff maybe. Is C# a good language to learn for this?
Advertisement
To make XNA stuff you have to use C#. You can't use anything else....so yes, that is what you want to learn if you want to try XNA.
It's the only language you can use if you want to play around with XNA.
"Q: How widely used is C# in the gaming industry?
A: The vast majority of game studios recognize the productivity benefits of C# and are already using it for creating internal tools within their studios. There are even a few great games for Windows written using C#. But before the advent of the XNA Framework, doing true cross-platform development with C# targeting both the Windows desktop and the Xbox 360 was not a reality. That’s why we believe the XNA Framework represents an exciting opportunity for game studios. Managed DirectX Q&A
"
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD
To make XNA stuff you have to use C#. You can't use anything else....so yes, that is what you want to learn if you want to try XNA.

You can use any .NET language with XNA Framework. There are samples of XNA with F#. However the IDE stuff only works C# Express 2005.
I'm sorry. When I said I wanted to create XNA type stuff, I meant the kind of games you'd you find on XBLA not that I'd necessarily want to make Xbox 360 Live Arcade games.
As long as you don't intend to publish the game for the XB360, you can use any .NET language with XNA. You can sort of use any language even if you plan to build to XB360, but you have to do the final build in VC# Express.
Of course, there's still SDL.NET, Tao.OpenGL, and Axiom.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement