Design and code in-game user interface subsystem.

Started by
0 comments, last by Motorherp 17 years, 7 months ago
I'm a beginner/hobbyist game developer. Can anyone recommend some books or sites with tutorials that covers this aspect of game development. Designing and creating a user game interface subsystem in-game sounds difficult, it's like re-creating a new windowing system within another (a game inside win32 windowing API). I can hardly imagine how I would go about creating one (beginner of course), but I thought about it but couldn't figure out. Since a game has only a main game loop, a GUI subsystem would have to poll user input from keyboard, mouse or other various inputs, then update the states where I would draw or render the correct UI elements/widget in-game. I'm confused, please help me out. :P I guess most game API such has a built-in windowing subsystem with a handful of limited widgets. Some don't like Ogre3D, which doesn't have one but it's accompanied by something they recommend, can't remember what they recommended as part of their SDK. I tried what is offered by DirectX in one of their SDK examples. Well, that is 1 possible example I can follow, but is that the good enough? Is it a standard on how I implement such a GUI subsystem in-game. Will it be responsive enough to react to user input, not lagging while I enter some text into the text box and such. Most importantly, how do all these GUI subsystem work in a single game loop can it be event-based rather than poll-based? Thanks.
Advertisement
This site has some nice tutorials on creating your own in game GUI that will hopefully get you thinking along the correct lines. And as far as user input such as reading the mouse and keyboard goes you should check out the Direct Input samples that come with the DX SDK if this is what you are using.
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement