• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
foxtrap

what is a good complier and text editor?

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Iam a Rookie as you can see, I do know java and a little c++ but i learned them in the unix enviroment with x-emacs and was not really taught how to use these systems. I do know how to program have been doing it for at least a year but really need some help. I am now working in the windows enviroment and could really use the advice thanks.

Advertisement
In windows land, you are either using Microsoft Visual C++, or you are asking for a whole lot more work and, unless cross platform, less performant code.

I would recommend Visual Studio as your answer. Its about as easy as it gets and is what probrably 99.9% of professionals use. Plus there exists a freely downloaded version.

That said, if you don't want to go the IDE route, you can still run X-Emacs on Windows. As can you run GCC ( with makefiles too, if you download the Cygwin pack). Yet even then, I would go with Microsofts C++ compiler ( VS 2003 command line only C++ used to be freely downloadable ).

Finally, as a straight text editor for C++ work, Visual SlickEdit is pretty damned sweet, but you pay a steep price.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and quick response:) I will surely take your advice with visual as it is free and is better looking then x-emacs. I am a little a shock that it is free, it is a microsoft product i wonder if there trying to train to use there products even before iam a professional, but is another question for another forum for another day, i bid you good day... i said good day!

I use Visual Studio for my main development, for everything else I use the little SciTE text editor that comes with the ruby one-click installer for windows. So when I sit down at a friend's house I only need 2 things to be installed to be productive, the latest version of Subversion (3 MB) and the latest version of ruby (26 MB) ... then I'm ready to work. (They also need .NET and DirectX installed, but anyone who doesn't have that isn't my friend).

The SciTE editor is not good or powerfull for you emacs person. But it is clean, aware (highlighting for xml, sql, C++, ruby, and dozens more), and fast. It's my favorite reason not to need notepad anymore.

I edit with gVim and compile with DJGPP, and can highly recommend both, for those who don't like IDEs (such as myself). Installation was trivial and it just works. In particular, you need almost no vi knowledge to get started with gVim, while the full power (plus advantages coming from making proper use of a GUI) is always available. The only real problem is that Undo/Redo sometimes don't work :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!