a couple of vc 2005 questions

Started by
7 comments, last by zedzeek 17 years, 7 months ago
a couple of quick vc2005 questions A/ how to speed up compiling/linking (im using pch correctly) but compaired to vc6, copiling is ~50% slower + linking is sometimes ~10x slower eg > a minute compared to ~5secs on vc6 (same project of course) B/ with the tabs along the top of the window is it possible to have more than one row? C/ how to get rid of the drop down boxes under the tabs ta zed
Advertisement
Quote:how to speed up ... linking
Use Library Dependency Inputs should help if you're using static libraries.
Quote:A/ how to speed up compiling/linking (im using pch correctly)
but compaired to vc6, copiling is ~50% slower + linking is sometimes ~10x slower eg > a minute compared to ~5secs on vc6 (same project of course)

Write better code. No, that's really the only way. VC++8.0 (what's in 2005) is taking slower because it's doing a better job. A properly factored program without unecessary dependancies between modules will give you much better results than a pre-compiled header. By all means use a PCH for the standard library - but don't use it as a crutch to avoid proper code organization.

Quote:B/ with the tabs along the top of the window is it possible to have more than one row?
No. You can, however, have multiple, seperate sets of tabs.

Quote:
C/ how to get rid of the drop down boxes under the tabs

You can't. Learn how to use them instead. They are very helpful.
'No. You can, however, have multiple, seperate sets of tabs.'

yeah i saw that but its pretty messy (theres an addon in VC6 that does this, it also shortens the filenames on the tabs which is nice)

'You can't. Learn how to use them instead. They are very helpful.'

how are they helpful, from my understanding they just a lesser form of the classview sidebar.
eg left one seems to show the classes in the current file + the right one shows the functions within that class, very redundent info, is there something else theyre used for, by enabling something in the options perhaps?
it does seem very strange that u cant get rid of them, actually its not logical, after all most of the other stuff u can move around or disable.
I could clarify it by saying I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them.

The classview takes up a lot of space. They don't. And they only contain what's in that file.
C: Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> (All languages | C/C++) -> 'Navigation Bar'
Awesome. Of course, I like it, so I wouldn't have turned it off anyway.
cheers mattd, this might be the cue for other developers to share their tips for vc2005 (like used to happen on flipcode)
another question how do u enable it so when youre debugging. u can hover the mouse over a variable in the code + it displays its contents (very useful func that i use all the time)
this is available in vc6 + other IDEs (thus i assume it must also be in vc8 but i havent found the switch to turn it on)

also how to enable showing compile time in the output?
with vc6 u use the /y3 switch

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement