• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Haaf's Game Engine

This topic is 4158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I absolutely love it. It's a lot better than SDL in my opinion, so unless you need it to make your program cross-platform, HGE will be just fine. It's very easy to use, and certainly flexible. I haven't run into anything it can't do or I can't add, especially now that they've released the source code.

Do you know if its free for commercial use? And if you have an email address thats hotmail could you pm me because i would like someone to teach me how to use it.

HGE is a perfectly decent engine, really. I've used it on and off for about 8 months.

It's very quick to learn, with a pretty slimmed down engine. After just a day or so of reading, you'll know.. Pretty much all of what's in HGE.. And since the engine is open source, you're always able to add more to it if you need to. The source is relatively clean as well (if you compare to many other open source projects), so it's not too bad in that regard.

The engine itself is open source, but the sound engine used, BASS, is NOT. If you plan to use the built in sound functionality, you'll have to cough up €1000 for a single commercial license.. €2500 for an unlimited license. Alternatively you just write:

(hge instance name)->System_SetState(HGE_USESOUND,false);

And use a seperate sound library, and you're back to free.

Quote:
Original post by jdan
The engine itself is open source, but the sound engine used, BASS, is NOT. If you plan to use the built in sound functionality, you'll have to cough up €1000 for a single commercial license.. €2500 for an unlimited license. Alternatively you just write:

(hge instance name)->System_SetState(HGE_USESOUND,false);

And use a seperate sound library, and you're back to free.

I guess it depends on how big you are:
"Shareware license: €100
The "shareware" license allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products. If you're an individual making and selling your own software, this is the license for you."

That doesn't sound too bad for an indie

Quote:
Original post by Flatlander
I guess it depends on how big you are:
"Shareware license: €100
The "shareware" license allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products. If you're an individual making and selling your own software, this is the license for you."

That doesn't sound too bad for an indie

Yupp.. BASS is actually a pretty good option for indies; it's got most of the features of FMOD, is significantly cheaper, with unlimited uses. It's also got a nifty MOD-based file-format (MO3) for doing excellent quality music on a constrained size budget.

Allan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement