• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

opengl color question?

This topic is 4175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just have a simple question about opengl color. I want to specify a 24 bit color in opengl. I have found online that this means that each pixel has 2 bytes for each color. Like RR GG BB So, which of the glcolor functions should be used to specify the color. Is it glcolor3s(...) which takes in 3 short integer values? I'm not really sure. I got a bit confused by some documentation online. maybe glcolor3us(...) thanks in advance

Advertisement
I'm not sure if I understand why you'd want to do that? I thought color became 32bit with the alpha channel addition, but other then that, the 3f version worked fine.

I'm no expert on opengl, and rather new, but I did some searches and couldn't find any guides or syntax, sorry =(

Quote:
Original post by BradSnobar
I want to specify a 24 bit color in opengl.
I have found online that this means that each pixel has 2 bytes for each color.
Like RR GG BB

In principle, if you want to specify 24 bits of RGB color, you mean to have 8 bits for each channel. Furthurmore, with 8 bits you can encode 2^8 = 256 different levels. With 2 bytes per channel you can encode 2^16 = 65536 levels (what obviously encloses the 256 levels) with the costs of 48 bits for RGB in total.

So you can use 2 bytes per channel to specify 24 bit RGB, but 1 byte per channel is already sufficient.

Here an excerpt from the glColor man page. It describes how the various color setters work.
Quote:
glColor man page
Current color values are stored in floating-point , with unspecified mantissa and exponent sizes. Unsigned integer color components, when specified, are linearly mapped to floating-point values such that the largest representable value maps to 1.0 (full intensity), and 0 maps to 0.0 (zero intensity). Signed integer color components, when specified, are linearly mapped to floating-point values such that the most positive representable value maps to 1.0, and the most negative representable value maps to -1.0. (Note that this mapping does not convert 0 precisely to 0.0.) Floating-point values are mapped directly.

EDIT: Normally in computer graphics programs 3*8 bits RGB color is used, each channel in the range 0 to 255. The equivalent OpenGL setter is glColor3ub(GLubyte,GLubyte,GLubyte).

For best abstraction float (in the range 0.0 to 1.0) should be used. But since a single float value consumes 4 bytes of memory, the unsigned bytes variant is preferred at least where many color values are stored, e.g. in textures.

Okay, thanks. That was the function I was using. I think I just got confused after reading something online.

Still much appreciated though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement