• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
oms

help me , what the suitable way to design the street

This topic is 4264 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

really i find a problem when i make street , my game is ( car racing ) , and am design now the street , but there is a problem i found , the street seen as boxes , and i want to do smooth , plz look for the pic to understand me : http://www.bof3d.com/upload/upload/wh_719625847.jpg http://www.bof3d.com/upload/upload/wh_793584391.jpg the first pic , maybe its fine , but the secound have a problem ,,,, i want to do street as need for speed ,,,, plz help me note : i use 3ds max 8 , i want the idea not the steps .

Advertisement
First of all I'd check if your problem is still around when the model is rendered in whatever game engine you're intending to use, it may not look the same as your render from within 3ds max (assuming that's where those renders came from).

If you want your models to look less blocky you're probably going to have to increase the poly-count somewhat. I'm not an artist however, and I'd suggest that this is possibly an art problem rather than a design one.

Additionally, setences begin the a capital letter and end with a single punction mark, and seemingly random sequences of commas impart no meaning.

Well, without giving you steps..

Build small perfect blocks and clone them, then fill in gaps with new polys. That doesn't really fix your problem, but it would mostly avoid reaching it.

To fix your problem, make all edges visible near the ugly situation (enter sub-object edge mode, select all edges, then scroll down on the command bar to "surface properties" and click "Visible"). Then enter turn mode (right click the screen, select "Turn edges mode"). Now clicking on edges will rotate them to opposite vertices. Adjust the edges near the problem to make them as perpendicular as possible to the road direction.

Currently, you have something that looks like this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By turning edges, you can make it look like this:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

[Edited by - Kest on September 20, 2006 5:47:40 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!