• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
matches81

Strange error when adding new constructor

This topic is 4410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, sry the topic might be a bit misleading, but I couldn´t think of something more fitting. Please take a look at this header I wrote:
#pragma once
#include "Entity.h"
#include "../Interfaces/IRenderable.h"

namespace PUKE
{
namespace Logic
{
class Entity;

class __declspec(dllexport) EntityView
{
public:
	EntityView();
	EntityView(Entity* e);
	//EntityView(Entity* e, IRenderable* r);
	~EntityView();

virtual void		Update();

void			AttachEntity(Entity* e);
	void			DetachEntity(bool tellEntity = true);

PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* GetRenderable(){return this->m_pRenderable;}
	void			SetRenderable(PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* in){this->m_pRenderable = in;}

protected:

Entity*			m_pEntity;
	PUKE::GFX::IRenderable*	m_pRenderable;
};
};
};

Now this works like a charm. Except when I uncomment the third constructor EntityView(Entity* e, IRenderable* r). As soon as I add this constructor I get spilled with errors like this one: "error C2460: 'PUKE::Logic::EntityView::Entity' : uses 'PUKE::Logic::EntityView', which is being defined e:\coding\jnr\src\engine\gamelogic\EntityView.h(14) : see declaration of 'PUKE::Logic::EntityView'" Of course I get the missing type specifier errors then, too. As I just added the simple SetRenderable(...) method to the class that is not a critical problem, still I´m quite interested what the heck is going on there and why it´s okay to use an Entity* all over the place and a IRenderable*, too, but the compiler jumps at me as soon as I want to have that constructor. The most surprising thing to me is that the class Entity now seems to be a member of PUKE::Logic::EntityView, at least according to that error. I´m using VS2005, C++ and the DirectX SDK February 2006. Any ideas appreciated.

Advertisement
Try just forward declaring IRenderable instead of including the IRenderable.h file. You may have references to the Entity class in IRenderable.h that is causing circular dependencies.

nope, that didn´t change anything.
IRenderable.h doesn´t include another header that could cause a circular dependency.
I moved both includes to the corresponding .cpp file, and this is the current version of the header:

#pragma once

namespace PUKE
{
namespace GFX
{
class IRenderable;
};

namespace Logic
{
class Entity;

class __declspec(dllexport) EntityView
{
public:
EntityView();
EntityView(Entity* e);
// EntityView(Entity* e, IRenderable* r = NULL);
~EntityView();

virtual void Update();

void AttachEntity(Entity* e);
void DetachEntity(bool tellEntity = true);

PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* GetRenderable(){return this->m_pRenderable;}
void SetRenderable(PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* in){this->m_pRenderable = in;}

protected:

Entity* m_pEntity;
PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* m_pRenderable;
};
};
};

Still, uncommenting the third constructor leads to the errors described in the first post.

In your most recent post, you have the following two constructors:

EntityView(Entity* e);
// EntityView(Entity* e, IRenderable* r = NULL);

Is setting r = NULL as a default parameter a typo? as it does not appear in your first post. If it is not a typo, then you will get an error because there is ambiguity as to which constructor to use. EntityView(myEntity) - should this use the first or the second constructor (utilizing the default parameter)? The compiler has no way of knowing.

What are the first few errors that crop up? The one you posted would most likely only occur after the parser was thoroughly confused. In a long list of errors, usually only the first 1 or 2 are meaningful.

okay, I feel stupid again... like many times before I just forgot to tell the compiler that IRenderable belongs to PUKE::GFX, so it should have been:

EntityView(Entity* e, PUKE::GFX::IRenderable* r);

However, setting NULL as default value for that parameter doesn´t work.

EntityView(Entity* e, PUKE::GFX:IRenderable* r = NULL);

results in "error C2065: 'NULL' : undeclared identifier", using 0 as default value works, though....

Thx for reading anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!