Which IDE

Started by
11 comments, last by Sshado 17 years, 7 months ago
I have been using Dev-C++ for a while now, but I keep hearing everyone talk about using Visual C++. Since I am still learning, should I switch to Visual C++? I have the student edition of the latest Visual Studio, but I found Dev-C++ easier to use.
Advertisement
You should switch to VS, yes.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit

That isnt true.

Sshado if you think Dev-cpp is easy to use and you like it then keep using it.

Dev-cpp was the first ide I used and I liked it. Then I made the switch to vc and at first was confuzzled with all its features. Then I got used to it but decided to go back to Dev-cpp for its simplicity.

Feel free to try it out but just use what you think is best for you because its you thats using it.
I don't see how telling someone to use an outdated, no longer maintained, and mediocre IDE instead of a professional grade tool is good advice.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Seconded.

In any case, if you're still doubtful, go ahead and compare debuggers; Dev-C++ vs. VS 2005 - I think I know which one you'll choose. =)
Theres alot off people still using Dev-cpp over VS, in my opinion I like dev-cpp more because its very simple interface.

YES! VS is up yo date.
YES! VS has a great debugger.
but whats the need for all its features for someone who is learning.

Dev-cpp has everything needed for someone to learn and is quick and easy to use.
Quote:Original post by cNoob
YES! VS has a great debugger.
but whats the need for all its features for someone who is learning.

You must be kidding.
The debugger is arguably a programmer's best friend!
In some ways, I agree with cNoob. A beginner's time is better spent learning to program than learning to mess with IDE settings.

However, the moment you start wanting to do some real serious projects, switch to VC++.
dude, if ur just learnin c++, use what you feel most comfortable, when i first learnt it, i found it a big enough shock to the system without messing about with professional tools. I think you should switch some time but not until you're confident with the language itself
Quote:Original post by cNoob

That isnt true.

Sshado if you think Dev-cpp is easy to use and you like it then keep using it.

Dev-cpp was the first ide I used and I liked it. Then I made the switch to vc and at first was confuzzled with all its features. Then I got used to it but decided to go back to Dev-cpp for its simplicity.

Feel free to try it out but just use what you think is best for you because its you thats using it.

... Microsoft QuickC was the first IDE I ever used, and I LOVED it. Moving over to Borland was a painful process, because I knew Quick C so well it fit like a glove. However, once I used Borland my productivity sky rocketed. Then, time went on and I had to move from my now beloved Borland C++ over to MS Visual C. I was not a happy camper! Although, my productivity went up and it felt like home away from home.

... Then i had to use Vi. Thats another altogether painful story.

There is a moral in this somewhere... see if you can pick it out. Oh, its all true to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement