• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamz_05

Abit of a clue...

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well from basis of past posts I've found it's best to state exactley what I want, however this is quite a broad topic so I'll try to be precise. I want to try and learn abit of Graphics design and how it works in effect. I know theres a wide caption of things I can use, yet I'm still confused how it all goes togeather (With programming etc). I'm actually helping devloping a game for a MMORPG, it's been wrote in Sadscript (Vb). Then curiously I've wanted to know how to "Map"/Create say a "level" a level being a dungeon for instance. If I was to learn the basics of this I could mabey even possibly create my own mini "Final Fantasy" so to speak. 'Disclaimer, I do not work for Final Fantasy or in anyway want to copy them. If someone would point me in the direction of getting started with graphics designing It would be most appreciated, a general guide to how things work etc. I know theres several diffrent types of programs that allow you to use this, such as Open_gl and Direct3D or Nvidia (I think).. Anyone able to throw me a heping bone?

Advertisement
Your post showed that you are confusing a few things. First of all it would be nice to know what you mean with graphics designer. At first glance I would say you want to become a modeller or texture artist, which is after all about 'designing graphics', but then I read the part where you talked about OpenGL and Direct3D.

Basically, OpenGL and Direct3D are APIs (libraries, whatever :P) that let you program 3D stuff. This is pure programming although it helps if you have a feel for graphics. If you want to get going with OpenGL or Direct3D you will have to learn a programming language. C++ is often used for game programming but if you seek something easier to start with C# or even Visual Basic is a good choice as well. The disadvantage is that the last two are more aimed at using with Direct3D so OpenGL might not work for you with those languages ( not sure on that though ).

The difference between OpenGl and Direct3D is often a topic for hot discussions, but it mainly comes down to your personal preference. In the end it doesn't really matter which one you take, so you can flip a coin or use Direct3D if you want to use C# or VB.

Also, seeing as you're a beginner, I would advise not to start with an MMORPG. Start with some small projects just to get the general concept and then you can move on to bigger projects.

Quote:
Original post by rogierpennink
Also, seeing as you're a beginner, I would advise not to start with an MMORPG. Start with some small projects just to get the general concept and then you can move on to bigger projects.

Agreed, 110%. Hell, even most vets I would recommend against starting an MMORPG. Its just too staggering of a task. When I see "I want to create a MMORPG" vs "I want to create PONG", I will always put even money on which new developer is going to learn more and be more successful.

Thanks for the advice, I always thought the Open_gl etc was used to implement graphics into a game not the actual movement of the characters.

I didn't actually mean to "design" as in make a graphic but was wondering how you implement them into a game. Mabey I'm getting abit ahead of myself.

I do know abit of c++, currently reading C++ for Dummies. So far I've got to Functions.

I've covered all loops/if's and know about programming using proper variables etc.

Though I'd like to learn how you'd move an object. Plus, the C++ book I use isn't object oriantentated so I find it hard to even create simple games, it would be more text based.

So to further my question, where would I learn how to implement graphics into a game.

Also to note, I'm not writing core scripts more or less modules for monsters etc and the level based system. Its the rest I would be more confused about.

Thanks once again

Quote:
Original post by Dreamz_05
Thanks for the advice, I always thought the Open_gl etc was used to implement graphics into a game not the actual movement of the characters.

I didn't actually mean to "design" as in make a graphic but was wondering how you implement them into a game. Mabey I'm getting abit ahead of myself.

I do know abit of c++, currently reading C++ for Dummies. So far I've got to Functions.

I've covered all loops/if's and know about programming using proper variables etc.

Though I'd like to learn how you'd move an object. Plus, the C++ book I use isn't object oriantentated so I find it hard to even create simple games, it would be more text based.

So to further my question, where would I learn how to implement graphics into a game.

Ahh, that makes much more sense. You want to learn graphical programming. Since you are just learning C/C++, your best bet is to go with a straight forward 2D graphics library like SDL or Allegro. Keep in mind though, at the point you are at now, you will have a pretty wicked learning curve as to how to "use" these libraries. On the bright side, both have a very new user friendly community and appropriate documentation.

EDIT: Also, you have your terms mixed up a bit. Being "object oriented" or not has nothing to do with moving "objects". In this case they are two completely seperate concepts that happen to share a common word. Object Oriented programming is a way of programming, a style or mechanism if you will. Just like procedural oriented programming is a different style. My biggest suggestion is to finish that book first. It will make a lot of things a whole lot clearer.

Just to add to that, SDL stands for "Simple Directmedia Layer" and will allow you to easily display 2D graphics. Though it might sound boring to start with 2D graphics it is very useful to start with them as they're easier than 3D graphics and they'll allow you to grasp the general concept of creating games, which in turn will be helpful when learning 3D graphics.

Also, SDL is often used in conjunction with OpenGL to allow for cross-platform game programming. Therefore it is a logical step to start with SDL and once you feel you are experienced enough continue with OpenGL.

Links:
- SDL
- C++ tutorial

I linked the C++ tutorial just to emphasize the fact that you should be reasonably familiar with it before attempting any graphics at all ;) You will often see 'pointers' in APIs such as SDL and they're considered a hard topic when learning C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!