• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Event-Driven Game Engine Tutorials?

This topic is 4169 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a good tutorial/article/book out there focused around how to make an event-driven game engine? So far I haven't been able to find one.

Advertisement
Hi,

I think the two most event-driven systems in a game engine are AI and GUI. If you can find an article on how to handle events in a game engine for these two systems then you can generalize it to handle arbitrary messages.

I know this isn't really helpful (not exactly what you are looking for), but maybe it helps finding some resources by searching for those two things. I don't have any link or book to suggest, so sorry about that. Hope it helps (somehow).

HellRaiZer

There was an article in one of the Game Programming Gems books, but I can't remember which... I'll check when I get home from work.

Edit:
The book is GPG4... but I guess you don't have it so it might not help you that much.

It's basically a message based system where all entities do is respond to messages - a bit like the Win32 window api. There are messages to both get and set entity info. All entities are free to only process the messages they want/recognize... anyway.. you should buy this series if you're into game programming ;)

[Edited by - e-u-l-o-g-y on September 22, 2006 5:51:07 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement