• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Extrarius

[web] Need New Host =-(

This topic is 4391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My web host just let me know that on Nov 1st they'll be dropping support for DirectAdmin, so I need to find a new webhost. I read the forum FAQ and a few other threads about finding hosts, but none of the hosts mentioned met my needs. I've tried a few web hosting quote sites in the past, but all they did was fill my inbox with spam for scam artist hosts offer nothing for outrageous prices. At minimum, I need a DirectAdmin reseller account with unlimited users, domains, subdomains, email addresses, ftp accounts, (mysql) databases, DNS entries, etc. I currently have unlimited everything except for space and monthly transfer, of which I have 1200 MB of storage and 24 GB/mo of transfer for USD $5.75/month. Based on my current stats, I can go as low as 8 GB/mo with ~500 MB of space, but honestly I'd like to keep the numbers up because I have big plans for future expansion and I don't want to have to start the host search over again when I get around to that (plus, having a buffer to avoid ridiculous overage charges is a good thing). I will greatly appreciate any assistance =-)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Total Choice Hosting has nice pricing until you look at the reseller accounts, which I need bcause I host sites for a few other people that need control over (only) their stuff. Also, I have 6 domains with different sites and apparently their "unlimited domains" on normal plans means "as many domains as you want pointing to a single website".

The normal accounts would be $5/mo for more than what I have now: 1200 MB of storage and 40 GB/mo of transfer. For nearly the same resources on a reseller account (1500 MB ; 25 GB/mo), the price goes up to $20/mo and I'd have to make a separate user for each of my 6 domains, which would be a real hastle to manage.

-Extrarius

Quote:
Original post by iequalshane
www.siteground.com
I love it, cheap, fast and lots of space.
Their reseller program is even worse - you have to buy the accounts individually, so if I need 5 accounts, I get to pay $17.50/mo. It sounds like by 'reseller' they mean 'reseller of our plans' and not 'reseller-level control over the resources you purchase' (the latter being what I need).

I would recommend either Host Gator or Bluehost.

I currently use both of these suppliers and can recommend them highly. A decent ammount of resources at a reasonable price.

Their support is also the best ive experienced, Host Gator in particular, with simple queries being answered in a matter of minutes. For those occasions when an email just wont do, theres also 24/7 voice chat. More advanced problems have only ever taken a few hours to fix.

Host Gator is priced similarly to the others that are 'too expensive' (and it uses cPanel, which I'm not fond of). BlueHost seems to use a proprietary control panel and doesn't seem to offer reseller options.

Currently, the two options under consideration are 8-95.com(had an account with them long ago, and they were ok, and they offer exactly the features I want) and DreamHost(custom control panel isn't too bad, and reseller limits aren't quite as find as I'd like, but the amount of resources made available dwarfs everything else, it does have the features I currently need, and I'm 99% certain it's possible to add some features I want but don't need programatically whenever I actually need them). Both have limits that I don't really like (8-95 limits the number of domains; DreamHost limits FTP/SSH accounts and e-mail addresses) but the limits are high enough that they should cover my needs for a long, long, long time to come.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I gotta recommend Host PC.

They're a very affordable DirecAdmin Host. I've been using them for the last 2 years now and they've been nothing but awesome for me and their support is top notch. Plus I think they're having a 2 for 1 sale (double quota) till the end of October.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The forum parsed out the hyperlink, their URL is www.hostpc.com

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
The forum parsed out the hyperlink, their URL is www.hostpc.com
The reseller account is $12/mo for far less than I have now. I've pretty much decided to go with DreamHost, where I pay $16/mo for more resources than I could ever use. There are things I don't like, but the extra options I have nearly makes up for the deficiencies, and their suggestion system combined with the huge improvements since I last tried them gives me great hope that every feature I want will be implemented soon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!