• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eddy999999

VB FSO Help Needed

This topic is 4412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently making an RPG using VB6, and I am using FileSystemObject (FSO) to deal with loading/saving files. However, when the editor saves the files, they are saved in a different folder than the game loads the files from. Is there a way to move all of the files from one folder to another, without knowing the names of the files, and without just moving the entire folder?

Advertisement
When I worked with visual basic 6, I could save the entire class files to text files and read them back via a binary saver/loader.

I cant get you the specific code if you'd like, but my UDT was quite elaborate with sub UDTs that contained UDTs that contained UDTs.

The only problem with this I could see is its lack of easy editing without adding special commands. Im sorry I havent used or worked with FSOs

Thats OK. BTW, FSO is just a set of functions that makes it easier to create/move/delete files. Basically, I have a /Maps folder in the /Editors folder. Then, inside that folder, there is a folder for each Mapset that whoever is using the editor has created. Then, inside all of those folders are the files for the individual maps within that mapset. I just recently added the folders for each mapset, before I just had all of the files in the one /Maps folder. However, it got to be pretty messy once a lot of maps were made. But for the game, I just have one /Maps folder. What I need to do is move all of the files in all of the folders within the /Editor/Maps folder to the /Maps folder.

I figured out a wayto get all of the files in a single folder to move to the /Maps folder if I know the name of the folder. Unfortunately, I have no way of letting the program know what all the folders names are.

EDIT: I think I may just go back to having all of the files in a single folder, until I can figure out a way to do it differently.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!