• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NIm

Yagh....ifstream

This topic is 4267 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having trouble getting this to compile.
boost::shared_ptr<model> model::loadmodel(const string filename)
{
    fstream file;
    file.open(filename);
It seems to want filename as a const char*, so how do I convert a string to an array of chars? I tried filename.c_str, but it thought that was <unknown type>

Advertisement
filename.c_str() should work fine, or I suppose you could just make a char array and copy your string elements into it a character at a time...

well, make the function parameter a const character array. and then when you call it you can just do: filename.c_str() in the call.

If you tried this, sorry.

Quote:
Original post by NIm
I tried filename.c_str, but it thought that was <unknown type>

You probably forgot to #include <string>. filename.c_str() is the correct way to to it.

You shound probably pass your filename by reference rather than value (const string & filename) and open the file when you initialise it (fstream file(filename.c_str());), since this is more idiomatic C++.

Σnigma

Yagh.... I'm a dumbass. I forgot the () to make c_str a function call. I had everything you suggested

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!