• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PsichoDM

OpenGL Great looking 2D graphics effects.

This topic is 4292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would be able to point out what type of cool looking 2d graphics effects there are out there right now. For 3d graphics I certainly know about things such as shaders, different mappings, lighting effects such as HDR and bloom, but I'm not quite sure what the current 2d standards are. I'm considering implementing them in my upcoming 2d action puzzle game, so I'd be really grateful if somebody could point out what they are, and how hard it is to implement them by using OpenGL. Thank you!

Advertisement
it should be very easy to put some 2d effects together. if you use opengl or dx, then you really dont need to consider the 3rd axis. therefore you can still use shaders, shadows, reflections, etc. just think in 2d rather than 3d.
to answer your question, any 3d effect can be applied in 2d.

I would say the most popular 2D effect is motion blur. Well, for side-scrollers, anyway. Opengl, by the way, has a set of imaging tools, which can be very usefull in implementing 2D effects.

Since post-processing is essentially the use of a 2D effects loop, there's nothing stopping you using it.
This opens up a diverse world of blooming, tone-mapping, blurs, noise, 'photo fix' (tweaking colours, contrast etc. via some colour-space or other). The list goes on.

Regards
Admiral

Allrighty, that's a good list. Would you happen to know of resources such as online guides, tutorials, wikis or even books I could get where the implementation of such effects is explained? I could naturally just get those effects from somewhere else but I'd rather implement them myself, with a guide or something :)

Thanks again!

Lots and lots of particles look pretty cool in 2D games, not sure if thats an option for your puzzle game.

That plasma pong game that as posted here a while back uses fluid dynamics,
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=378340

BennyW

I absolutely love that plasma pong game, it's very gorgeous (and I'm impressed it runs at full FPS here). My game's design in fact involves simulating fluid through particles. It'd be nice to find an in-detail explanation the basics of it. No need to reinvent the wheel :)

I believe that guy's website has some links to some papers and stuff. And there's an article in GPU Gems 2 you might wanna look at.

BennyW

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!