• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Question about Game Developing

This topic is 4176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm horrible at drawing and will most likely be horrible at 'drawing' over the computer. Now my question is, what job title would I go for if I just wanted to create button configurations and if I had visions for my own games along with indepth specifications on how I'd want them to be played? I'm 23 years old, I've had just about every single system since the Sega Genesis and I'm pretty confident that I can come up with new button Scheme's for the games I wish to take part in creating. I also feel pretty confident that I can make a fun product. The only problem is, that I can't draw at all. So are there any possistions in this industry that I'd be able to fit into? (And if I'm askin in the wrong place, can someone direct me to the right place?) Thanks guy's.

Advertisement
There are positions in the industry that are very specific. I recall seeing someone here on GD.net that worked for EA as a UI designer for several projects. I'm fairly certain he didn't "draw" anything for the final version of the product. Although he was most likely reasonsible for sketching many drafts of what the UI would look like, as well as actually implementing it. This type of position would be a programming position in part (atleast the person I am refering to was a programmer), although as games get more and more complex I'm sure there are/will be UI designers that do very little / no programming.

Of course, if your talking about buttons on a controller than that whole tangent was rather pointless. I don't know of any companies that have a fulltime person for choosing what the X and Y buttons do.

Quote:
Original post by Illumini
There are positions in the industry that are very specific. I recall seeing someone here on GD.net that worked for EA as a UI designer for several projects. I'm fairly certain he didn't "draw" anything for the final version of the product. Although he was most likely reasonsible for sketching many drafts of what the UI would look like, as well as actually implementing it. This type of position would be a programming position in part (atleast the person I am refering to was a programmer), although as games get more and more complex I'm sure there are/will be UI designers that do very little / no programming.

Of course, if your talking about buttons on a controller than that whole tangent was rather pointless. I don't know of any companies that have a fulltime person for choosing what the X and Y buttons do.

Alright thank's I really appreciate this. I'm serious about pursuing a job in this industry and I have Just a few more questions..This is gonna be kinda long, so please bare with me.

What exactly is UI? And the button configuration comment I made, I was just kinda giving an example. It's like I got plenty of Idea's for different games and how they would be played, specifically action adventure's. So it's not so much as me just wanting to choose what the X and Y buttons would do as oppose to creating the Charactor from scratch and than applying my desired attitude/actions to these charactors and ultimately having it where people would enjoy and find it pleasing to play as these charactor's. That's where my imaginiation peak's and the only thing I'm stressing is that I dont have an artist's touch at all, I really wish I did. It would make it a whole lot easier for me if I did, but I can still see these Charactors in my head, I can see everything, I can see what would make them appealing while being controled on a console. So I'd much rather give em to a talented artist to develope visually while I would dictate the smooth actions I would want the charactor to make. That's basically where my imaginition get's the best out of my idea's. Now that's along the lines of where I feel id be strongest in game developing and I don't know if there's even a spot like that in the game developing industry. I plan on going to UAT at the begining of the next year if I find out if it's even possible to apply these idea's that I have. Right now I'm just in the asking questions stage cause I really want to know if I'm just waisting my time or not. And thanks to anyone and everyone that can give me some answers.

UI is user interface. It is how the user interacts with the game. After reading your post this isnt specifically what your interested in. You seem more like you have an interested in game design/character design. You really might be best off learning how to create 3D models and animate them, etc. To me 3d modeling is more technical skill, creative vision, and perseverance than anything else. I'm sure there are great 3d modelers out there that suck with pen&paper (not all of them of course, but some). Give it a shot.

Quote:
Original post by Illumini
UI is user interface. It is how the user interacts with the game. After reading your post this isnt specifically what your interested in. You seem more like you have an interested in game design/character design. You really might be best off learning how to create 3D models and animate them, etc. To me 3d modeling is more technical skill, creative vision, and perseverance than anything else. I'm sure there are great 3d modelers out there that suck with pen&paper (not all of them of course, but some). Give it a shot.

Alright thanks! I was just reading on the Game Designer aspect of the various educations at UAT and thought it was what I was looking for and I think you clearfified that it is what I was looking for, so thanks again Illum!

Quote:
Original post by ChilliVerde
I'm horrible at drawing ...

So am I !!!

Quote:
and will most likely be horrible at 'drawing' over the computer.

Nope, not true, like I said, I'm horrible at drawing by hand, but drawing 3D is totally different, granted, those who can draw by hand will have less trouble in using 3D moddeling tools, but, it doesn't mean you couldn't learn it.

Try out some 3D modelling tools like Blender, Lightwave, the first one is free, the second one comes fairly low prized and can do everything the big names do!

i dont actually know, but think that everyone actually earning money with character design can at least draw. i find it quite difficult to explain someone your ideas for a game without knowing how to draw (when it comes to characters).
"one moment i will model it" its not that easy because modeling is a time intense thing compared to sketching.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement