SDL+OpenGL-tutorials!

Started by
4 comments, last by back2newbelf 17 years, 6 months ago
OpenGL has started to interest me and I've now browsed a couple of tutorials that cover some issues about OpenGL. But the thing that I'm not so fond of is WinAPI or GLUT using in those tutorials. :( Can you recommend ANY tutorials that don't have WinAPI or GLUT also? And if it would be possible, then SDL+OpenGL-tutorials. :) Thanks already!
The important thing is to never stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Advertisement
Check out these links at the SDL website.

If you already know SDL it's very simple to use OpenGL with it. Practically it's just a matter of passing SDL_OPENGL to SDL_SetVideoMode() after saying with SDL_GL_SetAttribute() that you want to use double buffering. And swap buffers with SDL_GL_SwapBuffers(). Much simpler than GLUT :)
-- Rasmus Neckelmann
Yesterday, Lazy Foo announced that sometime soon-ish he'd have an OpenGL with SDL tutorial. All his other tutorials are good, so it might be worth the wait. Cone3D has a tutorial on it, but it's not very easy. (sorry, don't have link)
Here's the Cone3D tutorials

However, IMO they're extremely overcomplicated - It goes from setting up SDL+GL to loading MD2 models, that's a really big step. What I recommend is to learn from Cone3D #1 how to set up the SDL+GL environment and make it build, and then (assuming you're new to OGL) go to the NeHe OpenGL tutorials, and start from the beginning. NeHe uses GLUT, I think, but all the basic OpenGL stuff is the same in SDL+GL, so the majority of his tutorials (and all the beginning ones) still apply. Plus, the NeHe tutorials are very well written and pretty easy to follow.

I hope that helps, that's the way I learned SDL+GL

Edit: If you want I can upload my base SDL+GL init code which gets you a window and input and such quite easily, I'm in class till about 3-4 PM EST today, so I can do it after that.
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Thanks to all of you guys!
I still have to wait for Lazy Foo's SDL+GL-tutorial, but while I'm doing that, I'll read the other links you gave me. :)
The important thing is to never stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
nehe's tutorials in sdl..
http://www.libsdl.org/opengl/OpenGL-intro-1.1.1.zip

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement