• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Directsound : can make woman or man voice using directsound???

This topic is 4171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have look to some software about voice effect. (such as Blaze audio plus) and saw that to make my voice same woman/men voice, i must change value of pitch (pitch shift technique). I wonder Directsound can do pitch shift . Can i make my voice same as woman / man with using directsound? Please help me . Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
DirectSound is for audio playback and recording, not modification. You can record audio with DirectSound, change it, then play it back, but changing it is up to you.

I don't think you can do full duplex (recording and modify on the fly).

If you've got the sound pre-recorded you can simply use the frequency to make it sound higher (make sure you've set the DSBCAPS_CTRLFREQUENCY flag on creation of the buffer).

The problem with playing back at a different sample rate is that the sounds plays at a different speed. This tends to destroy the illusion. However a time-preserving pitch-shift, if tweaked correctly, can almost convincingly transform a male voice to a female one. Going the other way tends to give slightly poorer results.

There are many libraries available to do the work for you. Look for a DirectSound pitch-shift filter. You can use it with IDirectSoundBuffer8::SetFX, but be aware that it's not as straightforward as it should be.

If you're interested in creating your own filter, look up fast Fourier transforms (FFT). The idea of the most basic pitch-shift algorithm is to FT the incoming signal into the frequency domain, scale the spatial variable (frequency), then inverse-transform back to the time domain. The principle is simple, but the devil is in the details. I advise you to use a ready-made solution, though, unless you have a taste of masochism.

Regards
Admiral

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement