• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pghTech

Question about DirectInput8Create

This topic is 4352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the DirectInput8Create function, it takes the following 2nd to last argument: [ppvOut] Address of a pointer to a variable to receive the interface pointer if the call succeeds. In my program I pass for that argument (void**)m_di and m_id is defined as: IDirectInput8 *m_di; Therefore, I was just hoping someone could explain how that "pointer to a variable to receive the interface poiinter" works (like a double pointer?) I don't see where I setup a double pointer to begin if m_di is just a pointer to the IDirectInput8 object to begin with.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by pghTech
In my program I pass for that argument (void**)m_di
I'm surprised that doesn't blow up in your face. You should be using (void**)&m_di for the last argument.

Yes, my face is on fire.

Sorry, it was a typo - should be a reference &m_di.

But could someone actually help me out with the OP question?

&m_di is the address of the pointer to the IDirectInput8 interface. So it's a double pointer.
By passing the address of the pointer to the function, the function can change the pointer to point at something else - the newly created IDirectInput8 interface.

Thanks Evil Steve:

Just so I understand; since m_di was defined as

IDirectInput8 *m_di

I am assuming at this stage it in itself is not a double pointer and just a pointer to an IDirectInput8 object.

BUT! would it be safe to say that by declaring the argument passed as

(void**)&m_di

that you are passing a sort of a imaginary "second" pointer that points to the pointer &m_di, which in itself, points to the IDirectInput8 object?

I guess what is confusing me, is how the variable m_di is defined as a pointer, but then with no extra "defining" steps, it becomes a double pointer without having to declare a double pointer that points to &m_di.

I am assuming for it to work it would have to be defined like below.
EXAMPLE:

int var1;
int *ptr1;
int **dptr2;

var1 = 10
ptr1 = &var1;
*ptr2 = *ptr1 + 10;

**dptr2 = *ptr1 + 5;

Quote:
Original post by pghTech
Just so I understand; since m_di was defined as

IDirectInput8 *m_di

I am assuming at this stage it in itself is not a double pointer and just a pointer to an IDirectInput8 object.
Yup, exactly.

Quote:
Original post by pghTech
BUT! would it be safe to say that by declaring the argument passed as

(void**)&m_di

that you are passing a sort of a imaginary "second" pointer that points to the pointer &m_di, which in itself, points to the IDirectInput8 object?
Sort of. & on the left of a variable means "Address of". Since m_di is already a pointer, you're taking the "Address of" the pointer, and passing the result of that expression to DirectInput8Create(). That's how I always think of it anyway.

Quote:
Original post by pghTech
I guess what is confusing me, is how the variable m_di is defined as a pointer, but then with no extra "defining" steps, it becomes a double pointer without having to declare a double pointer that points to &m_di.
This:
IDirectInput8* m_di;
DirectInput8Create(h, DIRECTINPUT_VERSION, IID_IDirectInput8, (void**)&m_di, NULL);
is the same as:
IDirectInput8* m_di;
IDirectInput8** pdi = &m_di;
DirectInput8Create(h, DIRECTINPUT_VERSION, IID_IDirectInput8, (void**)&pdi, NULL);
which is also the same as:
IDirectInput8* m_di;
IDirectInput8** pdi = &m_di;
void** pvoid = (void**)pdi;
DirectInput8Create(h, DIRECTINPUT_VERSION, IID_IDirectInput8, pvoid, NULL);

The point I'm making is that you're not converting the single pointer (m_di) into anything else. You're taking the address of that pointer as a seperate, temporary variable, and passing that double-pointer to the function.

Thanks so much Evil Steve. That complete cleared that up.

I understand now that with (void**)&m_di I am passing the address of that pointer(m_di), which obviously, being a pointer points to something. So as you said a temporary pointer to a pointer to an (in this case and object).

Thanks again for the detailed, helpful answer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!