• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
etsuja

bullet time in a MMO

This topic is 4439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would it be possible to put bullet time in an MMO? I'd want it to seem like everything was moving real slow to the player in bullet time but he would have to appear to be moving very fast to everyone else. I'm not sure how to do it.

Advertisement
Its not possible to implement true bullet time effects in a multiplayer game. Simply because the fact that everything still happens in realtime and your actions will be too late to make a difference in the realtime world.

There are ways to fake it though.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hey, you gave me an even better idea
what about a MMO with Time Travel!

where you can go into the past, and see what has happened, and even make changes that affect the present (don't shoot you own grandfsther!)

just think! you might even be visited by you future self, and he'd tell you all the stuff you were about to do and give you advance warnings...

seriously tho... as cool as these ideas are, I dont think you can really change time Differently for different players
IF it's possible, then I would look into exloiting Network Latency (lag) and dead reckoning as a starting point; there just might be something useable in there...

No... if you slowed it down for one guy and he just looked really fast to everyone else, then they would still be playing at real-speed and he would therefore be defying the laws of time. To do bullettime in MMO you have to slow it down for everyone.

I played a Half-Life mod waaay back in the day where they had implemented bullettime, and it was awesome. Everyone had a recharging bullettime meter, and the mod allowed for various matrix dives and wall jumps. So you run around shooting, then someone initiates bullettime and everyone starts diving around/cartwheeling etc. It was really cool

(anyone know the name of that mod?)

I guess a way to do it would be to have it only effect players involved in a fight but could only be activated if they were being shot at. Or I might be able to just slow down all projectiles flying at the player using bullet time allowing them to dodge the bullets. Anyone let me know if you have some other ideas on how it could be done.

This isn't necessarily impossible. Time is not constants, as stated by Einstein's theories of relativity state. What you need to do is along with your game distribute chair on a big arm that spins around that the player sits in. When bullet time is activates by a player all the other players chairs accelerate them to velocities approaching the speed of light. Thus slowing time down for them. They will be moving really slow while the bullet time using player will be moving at normal speed.

Of course you'll have to find some way to combat the massive G forces they would experience.

The game Timeshift has something vaguely like this in multiplayer. If you chuck a 'time grenade', it will explode into an area in which everything moves *really* slowly. Chuck one at somebody, and they'll be easy targets, but your bullets will be moving slowly, too, so it will take a while for them to reach him. Or you could chuck one down a hall-way and it would effectively create a sheild (gives you enough time to run away from the slow bullets and it would be suicidal for someone to run into it).

Something like that might work.

I think it's possible, but it would be really annoying...

Slow down everyone remotely, except you (your targeting, bullets, whatever...). however that would really piss me off everytime someone starts using bullet-time and it slows my controls down.

I think a time capsule would work better though. When you trigger bullet time, it affects an area, and everything entering the area will slow down (bullets, players, ...). Everything leaving the area would speed up until normal speed.

Time travel could also be possible, for a few seconds back. You trigger your time travel, your body de-materialise, and your game state moves back to a few seconds in the past, even possibly going into a slight slow motion. When time travel ends, your body re-materialise and you carry on with the game's latest state.

If you kill someone in your time travel, they would die instantly. You could also get killed while time travelling if you are not careful :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!