VC++ GUI command list

Started by
9 comments, last by phi 17 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to create a GUI using C++. Now, I don't want to actually program it using the MFC so I'm using the form designer in MSVC++ (express ed.) . I followed a couple of tutorials on the microsoft website, but they started using functions that I didn't know existed. Is there a nicely laid out list of all GUI commands and parameters? When I saw them being used, I understood what they meant and how they were to be used, but I couldn't find a list of commands. Thanks
Advertisement
There are so many functions that Windows provides for creating GUIs that it would be impractical to list them all. You can maybe get an idea by looking at Functions in Alphabetical Order.

However, a list like this isnt very useful. What you'd be more interested in and what would be more useful is a set of pages about a specific topic, such as Windowing. The MSDN is organized into this structure for all topics. Once you become familiar with it you'll be able to first find out how to use a set of functions and then later can their specific references.
And that's how the noob in me is exposed :D. Thanks a lot Colin! I remember trying to plough through the main MSDN website, and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world! lol.
If you're using Windows Forms (not MFC), you can just use auto-complete on each object, or each namespace, to get a selection of what's there. You can also hit F1 to get the help file for that class or method.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
If I was to use the form designer in MSVC++, would I be right in assuming that I am using windows forms? If so, is there a disadvantage of using this instead of the MFC?
Actually, I'd call WinForms a major advantage over MFC. MFC is pretty horrid.

If all your classes start with a C, like CDialog and such, you're stuck in MFC-land. I'm actually not clear on the particulars of using WinForms from C++ proper; otherwise I'd offer some details on how to switch.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I was looking at winforms and it seems to be based on the .NET platform. Does this mean that the end user will have to have .NET installed, or is it only required by the developer? If the former, then does that seem overkill for an mp3 player?
Yes, your users would need .Net installed.

Personally I think it's worth it, because of the benefits in development efficiency. (In fact I'd just go all the way to C# or another .Net language since it'll end up being required either way.) Whether or not the dependency is prohibitive for you depends on your goals with the app.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

In the long run, I was hoping to make this a cross platform thing. However, I know I limited myself by using MSVC++ but getting wxDev-C++ running with FMOD was a nightmare and there were too many problems. Maybe there's another solution to create GUIs, which are preferably cross platform?
Quote:Original post by phi
In the long run, I was hoping to make this a cross platform thing. However, I know I limited myself by using MSVC++ but getting wxDev-C++ running with FMOD was a nightmare and there were too many problems. Maybe there's another solution to create GUIs, which are preferably cross platform?

wxWidgets? Never tried using it with FMOD though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement