a new picture i drew ^_^

Started by
46 comments, last by Kest 17 years, 6 months ago
oh yeah ^_^. To let you know the distorted anatomy of the body is on purpose. I am trying Final fantasy design ^_^. I really like it and usually the anatomy is alot more well perportioned in my style i really like this style ^_^
Advertisement
Here eyes are unrealistically large.
Something about the anatomy seems... wrong...

Way better than anything I could do though, and apart from the weirdness around the shoulder it looks pretty good.

I'm moving you to Visual Arts, you might get some better responses there.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kest
Quote:Original post by Talroth
True, but you should know and be able to draw 'correctly' before claiming that you are doing some new art 'style'.

There's no such thing as correct art. The fact that it is incorrect is what makes it art. A perfect rendering of reality would be a photo. A perfect rendering of anime would be a copy of someone else's style. The imperfections add to his style. If those imperfections conflict with other elements in his style, then that should be changed. But it's very difficult to determine how consistent his style is while only looking at this one image.

I agree whole heartedly :)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
I seriously wish I could draw that good, though, im pretty good with stick figures
Quote:Original post by the_bouncer_2006
oh yeah ^_^. To let you know the distorted anatomy of the body is on purpose. I am trying Final fantasy design ^_^. I really like it and usually the anatomy is alot more well perportioned in my style i really like this style ^_^

1) She has no hips.
2) Her pants are falling down. (Seriously, you would be able to see a good 4 inches of her ass crack from behind...)

Tis a nice drawing tho ;)
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
There's no such thing as correct art. The fact that it is incorrect is what makes it art. A perfect rendering of reality would be a photo. A perfect rendering of anime would be a copy of someone else's style. The imperfections add to his style. If those imperfections conflict with other elements in his style, then that should be changed. But it's very difficult to determine how consistent his style is while only looking at this one image.

I'm sorry, but that is absurd. While you are correct that there is no such thing as 'correct' art (because it is inherently a form of expression), there is most definately 'good' art and 'poor' art. the_bouncer's falls somewhere inbetween, but to say the renderings of a 12 year old who picks up a pencil is 'art' is an insult. Art is an exploration of aethetic principles. Studying art is studying these aethetic principles. You cannot POSSIBLY say someone who has no training and someone who has spent their life learning have the same artistic ability (that is, the experience with aethetic ideas and the ability to express them).
Painting/drawing (and to some degree photography as well), all art, is a stylization of reality... good art or bad art has nothing to do with the degree of photorealism or degree of non-representational, it has to do with how effective the artist is at conveying his aethetic principles (design skill) through his art (artistic skill).
Consider someone such as Ingres and his odalisque, or any Cubist, Impressionist, etc. NO artist from recorded history, to the best of my knowledge, suddenly picked up a tool as was considered skilled in art; it is not so in any other trade, why art? All artists, no matter how stylized, know HOW to realistically represent their work, 'style' is something they develop to more powerfully convey their design. If they cannot realistically convey what they see, then how can they possibly UNrealistically convey it?
Which is the problem with calling a drawing with awkwardly incorrect anatomy a 'style.' Something like the Odalisque, with her long spine, conveys a sense of sexuality and a sensuous feeling and exoticism, whereas the downright incorrect anatomy of bouncer's drawing does not. Each 'incorrect' part is not AT ALL incorrect; the artist makes a conscious decision to do what they do.
Things like a non-articulated clavicle, poorly composed stomach material, and impossibly turns upper torso, and an improperly located left arm/shoulder do NOT enhance the picture. Or, perhaps, you can explain how they do, or bouncer can say why he made those intentional inaccuracies (which he has already stated are not intentional, as he is learning).
But please, for the sake of art, do not call someone's inexperience style and do not call any scribble on a paper art.
-------------www.robg3d.com
I agree with Professor420, as usual.

Art/beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a kid with a pencil is not producing a 'new style'. Drawing something that doesn't look right and saying, 'thats just my style', isn't an artist, thats someone who doesn't want to improve.

Its all opinion though, so no point arguing. If the 'style' is so awsome, get a job doing it.
Ok i am taking this as constructive critisism to further advance myself ^_^. Anyways here is some before and after shots of my resent art done ^_^. I hope you guys enjoy ^_^

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/the_bouncer_2006/?change_count=0#page1

^_^ is not required to precede a period. In fact, it makes you look like an idiot. Is that what you want?
Quote:Original post by Professor420

I'm sorry, but that is absurd.

Alright, I'm in the shield stance.

Quote:but to say the renderings of a 12 year old who picks up a pencil is 'art' is an insult.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I literally thought the specific unique elements of this specific drawing added to it. Although it's possible that my opinion could be heavily influenced by nostalgia of my own past.

Quote:You cannot POSSIBLY say someone who has no training and someone who has spent their life learning have the same artistic ability (that is, the experience with aethetic ideas and the ability to express them).

A new type of artistic style may look erroneous to some viewers. Especially aspiring would-be artists who have worked their way up the artistic skill ladder by copying work from others. That is how I associate 'incorrect' with 'art'. A break from the standard. But I didn't claim anyone had reached any level of skill.

Quote:NO artist from recorded history, to the best of my knowledge, suddenly picked up a tool as was considered skilled in art; it is not so in any other trade, why art?

I'm honored that you were able to find so many hidden meanings in my small amount of text, but some of them seem materialized. Again, I did not imply anything about skill.

Quote:All artists, no matter how stylized, know HOW to realistically represent their work, 'style' is something they develop to more powerfully convey their design. If they cannot realistically convey what they see, then how can they possibly UNrealistically convey it?

It's much easier to start off with your own style than it is to create a new style after the mastery other styles. Extensive knowledge of other styles will build walls around your potential to be unique. Throw some children on a new planet and watch then create a brand new culture. Add their parents to teach them and you'll instead get a derived culture at best. A true scientist should research what others have done before coming up with new ideas. A true artist should do exactly the opposite. I've seen many styles of art with strange anatomy. Some of them I liked and some I didn't. I liked this one.

Quote:Things like a non-articulated clavicle, poorly composed stomach material, and impossibly turns upper torso, and an improperly located left arm/shoulder do NOT enhance the picture. Or, perhaps, you can explain how they do

It honestly doesn't look that bad to me. It's difficult to explain why I like it, because I don't see the same problems you seem to have with it.

Quote:or bouncer can say why he made those intentional inaccuracies (which he has already stated are not intentional, as he is learning).

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken:
oh yeah ^_^. To let you know the distorted anatomy of the body is on purpose.

Quote:But please, for the sake of art, do not call someone's inexperience style and do not call any scribble on a paper art.

I think you're a little too crule and hostile my friend. It's obvious he's still learning, but I wouldn't call it scribble. I honestly believe his style will shine nicely if he keeps improving it. I apologize if I said anything to light a fire under your seat. It was far from my intention.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement