• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deamonslayer

Networking questions.

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am just crossing the border to Networking. I am trying to make a small two player game. I am using the allegro library also which doesn’t have network support. I am trying to learn Winsock2. I have the platform SDK and linked everything. but I do get errors when i was looking at MSDN "creating a simple Winsock application" and I call struct addrinfo *result = NULL, *ptr = NULL, hints; Aggregate 'addrinfo hints has incomplete type and cannot be defined'. Also I am using the dev-cpp compiler I do not know if this causes problems. I have heard that it is a bad compiler and some say it is good. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/initializing_winsock.asp //This is the link to the MSDN tutorial /*btw I do not know how to turn the code posted into the code viewer so if itz some HTML tag please tell me! */

Advertisement
The error means that the compiler cannot find the struct called "addrinfo", so it cannnot allocate space for it ( it doesnt know what size it is ). You can have pointers to incomplete types, but you cannot allocate them until they are defined. You need to add a * before hints, or include a header that completes the addrinfo struct ( I dont know if you can, I dont use winsock ).

Dev-Cpp is an IDE, not a compiler. The compiler it uses, gcc, is a perfectly good compiler. You may find that it is easier to use internet examples if you use msvc++, there is a free version somewhere I believe, as many internet examples use msvc extensions. The msvc IDE is supposably very good too.

To post code, for small snippets you can use [ code ] and [ /code ], which preserve indentation, or you can use [ source ] [ /source ] to get syntax highlighting and a scrollable box. Neither tag contains spaces.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!