• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Romance of three kingdoms

This topic is 4168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to make my first game which will be like the Romance of three kingdoms, if anyone of you played it. It's a turn based simulation/strategy game. Could anyone give me some suggestions where I should start from, how the game archictecture should be set up, etc? Thanks, WJ

Advertisement
Howdy. We need more information from you before any of us could truely help.

What's your programming background?
What language(s) are you familiar with?
What graphical API are you going to use? Or do you not know?
Do you have anything planned at all yet?
Are you working alone?
2D? 3D?

Creating a game is a big project. You can't just dive in and expect it to go well. Give us some more information so we can better guide you.

-Artum.

Edit:
Oh, I should probably say this eventhough I know someone else will. It's best to start off on a smaller game like Pong or Pac-Man. Then move to Tetris and work your way up. Heck, even starting off with a text-based game is a good idea. I know it sucks to work on something that's 30 years old like Pong, but you'd be surprised at how much you'll learn and how much it'll help you out later on. Trust me, start a little smaller and you'll succeed much faster. If you start big you're going to go crazy trying to learn it all at once.

hi,

i'll be using directX, and i'm familiar with making games like pong. I have gone through a few game prorgamming books that talks about how to make FPS in C++, but not any book that covers something like what i want to do. I was wondering if you could point me to a good book or any open source code.

so basically, i think i can draw, create some AI and I can program, but i just can't find out how i can get started on this type of game...

I would like to do this in 2D first. something like

http://sillysoft.net/ahl/

would be what i like to do. I would like to keep the scale small, so that i can just experiment with it on my own as a learning experience.

Thanks a lot!

Here's a starting goal for you, if you don't like it then change it to something you do like. Treat it as a base, something that will get you involved in alot of game programming stuff, but not be too frustrating.

A tilebased/turnbased game, the map is no bigger than the screen (ie 640x480 screen with 32x32 tiles, then the map should be 20x15). Have units for 2 players already on the map, and let the players take turns moving them from square to square. You can give these units whatever names/stats you want, and compute combat anyway you want.

Make the design as simple as possible, for example, for your first implementation just let every unit move 1 square per turn in the direction the player chooses. A second implementation could give units a speed attribute, based on this speed you could move them that many tiles per turn. Once your comfortable with having the player manually move units you can investigate pathfinding and implement a simple way for the player to specify a destination and the unit automatically move there (perhaps over multiple turns).

Basically what I'm trying to help you think about is an iterative approach to making your game. Don't go crazy all at once, make something simple and expand upon it.

If you need some help with getting graphics on the screen I'm sure someone here has a link to some SDL tutorials (or google them).

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I see your familiar with DirectX, that's a fine API for making games, but if you'd rather use something a little simpler for 2D you can check out SDL (it uses DirectX underneath on Windows).

Thanks a lot, it sounds like a good starting point. That's what i really needed. I'll try to implement those first and see what i can add.

Thanks!

If you're stuck for a combat formula, here is a simple one you can build on

chance of attacker winning = attacker strength / (attacker strength + defender strength)

For example if you have 500 attackers, and 250 defenders with a +25% bonus for some reason, you have attacker strength = 500, defender strength = 312.5.

Chance of attacker winning = 500 / (500 + 312.5) = 62%

I hope that is helpful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement