• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MDX 2.0 has been knifed

This topic is 4244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Don't take my word for it. MDX 2.0 was deprecated, we knew that much, but apparently its deprecation is a little more violent than I and most other people believed.
Quote:
I have no doubt this will raise the ire of many users
I'm not going to say much more till I've had a chance to compose a more...calmed response, but let's just say that this quote is an extraordinary understatement. Combined with the crippled state of XNA at the moment, it means MDX 1.1 is the only viable solution to any kind of managed dev. For a group of people who are trying to push managed development into games so heavily, these people certainly have a interesting way of going about it.

Advertisement
I can't say that I have done any work with the XNA framework (yet), but it really wouldn't surprise me if they added more functionality to it for the next release.

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really up to date with various managed DX stuff, but I thought MDX was a more general purpose library, whereas XNA is solely game-orientated. Isn't MS basically saying "if you're not writing a game, we don't care"?

Sigh.

Is the equivalent functionality going to be restored in XNA? I haven't set up the beta yet and I'm in the process of wrapping my head around MDX 1.1 -- was hoping they wouldn't send 2.0 to its grave too soon.

Either way, here's what Mister MDX himself (tom miller) had to say about the 'MDX 1 or MDX 2?' -->Tom's blog

As he says, MDX 2.0 was never intended for anything beyond beta...I guess they were just warming up for XNA -- but not having played with XNA yet, I can't say.

~Shiny

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really up to date with various managed DX stuff, but I thought MDX was a more general purpose library, whereas XNA is solely game-orientated. Isn't MS basically saying "if you're not writing a game, we don't care"?

While the XNA framework beta is very game oriented, it is by no means solely for games. It is very possible to use the XNA framework with ordinary winform controls as shown here.

Regards,
ViLiO

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Shiny
Is the equivalent functionality going to be restored in XNA? I haven't set up the beta yet and I'm in the process of wrapping my head around MDX 1.1 -- was hoping they wouldn't send 2.0 to its grave too soon.

MDX 1.1 to XNA Mifration Guide outlines the main differences.

well, I'm glad I went back to MDX 1.1 when I heard 2.0 wasn't going to be continued. The only reason I started using it originally was because it had Font.MeasureString. But they added to MDX 1.1 at some point this year, so I went back. They probably do this timebomb thing in most of their betas... does anyone know? I wonder if they have the same thing in XNA... I would guess so...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!