1782^12 + 1841^12 = 1922^12?

Started by
16 comments, last by Bob Janova 17 years, 7 months ago
The left side is odd, the right side is even.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by alvaro
The left side is odd, the right side is even.

i second that.
[With fermat last theorem, you'll also need to verify a (many pages long) proof to be actually sure.]
Quote:Original post by Moe
bakery2k1: I am not entirely sure that I follow you. What do you mean by "unit digit"?

The last digit of the number, i.e. the 1 in 5671, as opposed to the "tens" digit or the "hundreds" digit.

I am basically explaining _why_ alvaro and Dmytry can say that the left side is odd and the right side is even.
Quote:Original post by bakery2k1
bakery2k1: I am not entirely sure that I follow you. What do you mean by "unit digit"?

The last digit of the number, i.e. the 1 in 5671, as opposed to the "tens" digit or the "hundreds" digit.

I am basically explaining _why_ alvaro and Dmytry can say that the left side is odd and the right side is even.

Actually, you don't really need to consider digit powers, just using
x^n is divisible by prime p if and only if x is divisible by prime p. I.e. for 2 x^n is odd if x is odd and x^n is even if x is even. You instantly see from equation that it's even+odd=even , it can't be true.
Would it make any sense if the last power was ^13? I was trying to read it off an image.

In case anyone wants to know where it is coming from, it is from the Simpson's episode where Homer goes into the 3rd dimension (by crawling behind a bookshelf to avoid Patty and Selma). One of the equations in the 3rd dimension is what I previously posted. Our teacher snapped a picture of the equation and posted it on WebCT for all to take a look at.
Would it make any sense if the last power was ^13? I was trying to read it off an image.

No. Left side it still odd, and right side is still even.

Besides, look at the values Simian Man posted halfway up. The values of the left and right side are almost the same, just a tiny relative difference (the difference is in the 10:th digit from the left). Changing the power to 13 instead on the left side will make the left side 1922 times larger.
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060610/bob8.asp
Just because I can: in Rowan ;D ...

+/¨((1782` 1841`) 1922`)*12(2.54121025861459E+39` 2.5412102593148E+39`)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement