• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jotaf

SnapLaunch - increase your productivity by 500% :) (not guaranteed)

This topic is 4436 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there! I just coded this little utility. I ended up finding it extremely useful so I decided to polish it up and share it. It replaces the Windows Run dialog and all those pesky shortcuts lying around in your desktop, quickbar, and start menu. Why? Most of the time I feel like this point-and-click, idiot-proof Windows interface just gets in my way. Most of us can type with our eyes closed, but what about clicking a button? You have to look around if you don't already know where it is. Then look at the tiny icon to see if it's what you want. It's even worse when you also have to click Show Desktop (that thing shouldn't even exist). We do it everyday, and we're so used to it that it seems reasonably fast. But still... Sorry for the long rant :) I hope I got my point accross. How it works: Press a key on your keyboard. Type in part of the name of what you want (it doesn't have to be the beggining). Real-time filtering makes it so that most of the time 2 or 3 letters are enough. Press enter and voila. Shortcuts are loaded automagically from your desktop, and other folders if you want; no maintenance necessary. That's it :) Download here (RapidShare) and please tell me what you think.

Advertisement
It seems to be cool and practical, but unfortunately I haven't many shortcuts on my desk.
It would be a great improvement if it would be possible to define a shortcuts-directory, or even define a "key - run programm/open dir at path(xyz)" mapping. (f.e. if "F1" would open Starcraft - I could start it with win+F1 immediately - this would be great)
Next, the hotkey could be also defineable (I'm using Windows+Pause to get to the windows enviroment-variables).
All in all - with this two improvements - I would willingly use it.
Good job!

EDIT: OH, I've found the Options that contains my wishes. :))

G R E A T :)

[Edited by - am2pm on September 21, 2006 5:42:01 AM]

Ive been meaning to make a program like this for about 6 years now. Ive started it a few times, but always abandoned it. Dammit.

Although in my case you associated a text command to each program, eg "word" for MS Word, "net" for Firefox etc.

Simply type the command and launch the program

Guest Anonymous Poster
Would like to try your program but I have never been able to download anything from the site you have used to host your file, everytime I get a message saying 'invalid session', any chance you can plop it somewhere else.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!