• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crazyfool

Flags and such!

This topic is 4414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've asked a question like this before, and would like to know whats the best way to store flags? At first glance I thought an array of booleans, but then I thought of quest chains and such, so there might be a need to have each flag have anywhere from 2 to 20 values depending on the step the player's on. My next question is, should I use an int or something like that were say... 12345678 represents 8 different flags, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. I think both have their pitfals and advantages. Would the extra memory used to store 8*x amount of shorts vs x amount of ints do something noticeably bad? and would the extra parsing to get each 'digit' take up too many cycles as well?

Advertisement
There are a so many ways you could go about this but I'll just list a few.

If you want to have multiple quests in your game with each quest having a series of steps you could try associating each quest with an unique identifier and then have the quests variable filled in with the step the player is on. If you know the total number of quests ahead of time, you could allocate an array of the quests flags on startup, or if you want to be more generic you could just save them in a list allocating them on the fly as the player engages the new quests.

You could use a byte for each but that will limit your values between 0-255. if you plan to have more than 255 quests, you could jump up to a unsigned short (I doubt you'd want a negative quest GUID?).

Example:

struct SQuestInfo
{
byte m_nQuestGUID; // The unique identifier for the quest (between 0-255)
byte m_nCurrentStep; // The step of the quest the player is on (starting at 0)
};

The memory overhead associated with the above struct is only 2 bytes - that's extreamly light. If you wanted to waste your time you could try to squeeze the QuestGUID and the current step into 1 byte, but I doubt you'll want to limit your quest number so small or go through the headache of having to figure out the values when looking at them in the debugger.

If you wanted something easier to read you could also use a string for the quest name. This will take up more memory also, but you don't have to just to a file and lookup the GUID->quest mapping when debugging. Or you could just have a string declared in the struct in debug mode only.

When you save the game just open a file and write the data out to it.

Psudeo Code Example:

// Open file
// Write the number of quests to file
// For each quest
// Write the quest GUID
// Write the qust step

Just remember. Programming as a hobby is all about having fun and learning new things. You've found a great site to come and ask advice.

Ah, I'm a bit confused as I have done little work with structs. Would it work somewhat like an array?

That is, for the first value being 0, the 2nd value would be associated with the first value when its 0. so if the 1st value wpuld change, the 2nd value would be different too?

Quote:
Original post by Crazyfool
Ah, I'm a bit confused as I have done little work with structs. Would it work somewhat like an array?

That is, for the first value being 0, the 2nd value would be associated with the first value when its 0. so if the 1st value wpuld change, the 2nd value would be different too?

No, think of a struct more as a collection of data types.

For example;

int health, x, y;

as a struct would be:

struct Character{
int health;
int x;
int y;
}

A struct is merely a way of grouping like minded data together. All of the values within a struct are independant of each other. So , using me earlier example, if I did.

myCharacter.health = 42;

myCharacter.y and myCharacter.x would be unaffected.

Quote:
Original post by homerj

The memory overhead associated with the above struct is only 2 bytes - that's extreamly light. If you wanted to waste your time you could try to squeeze the QuestGUID and the current step into 1 byte, but I doubt you'll want to limit your quest number so small or go through the headache of having to figure out the values when looking at them in the debugger.

I believe that structure would get padded out to be 4-byte aligned.

As for the OP's question, homerj is absolutely correct that there are a multitude of ways to handle this issue. If you are familiar with bit manipulation I think that is the best option. Essentially you would store a byte or two or however many are necessary to represent all of the quests you would have. So if you have over 255 we obviously would need a short, if we have more quests then we can represent in a short move up to an int, and so on.

Once you've decided on the data type to hold the information you would want to define somewhere a value that correlates to a given quest. So for example you could do

#define FIND_CASTLE_QUEST 1
#define FIND_PRINCESS_QUEST 2

and so on. The player class would then store the "quest", which as stated above is really just being held in a byte. Then we can simply determine which quest they're on by doing

if (players.quest & FIND_CASTLE_QUEST)
..DoStuff();

There is obviously a trade off between memory conservation and code clutter which this method may lead to if not handled properly. Having to do all these if checks to determine the current quests would be overkill and is a task better handled by some sort of quest manager or tracking system, but the representation of the quests could easily remain the same.

Hope that helps :)

To answers your origonal question, it really depends. If your looking to store on/off type data, your best off to go with boolean data types. If you are looking to store a value that may have multiple possible values, then you want an enum.

On top of all that, you probrably want to use a struct to store everything.

For example, if you wanted to store information for an RPG for the following things, you could represent it like the following.

** Want to store his current hitpoints, as a value from 1 to whatever **
** Want to store the locations he has visited as a list of bools. For example, there are 200 different locations, where the value could be yes or no **
** Want to store if he is healthy, hurting, or dead **

You would do something like:

enum Health { Healthy, Living, Dead };

struct PlayerStatus
{
int currentHitpoints;
bool locationsVisited[200];
Health current Health;
};

Then, for example, say the visits a certain location, at some point you would have declared an instance of your struct.

PlayerStatus myPlayer;

then somewhere in your game, your player vists a location, say a location you gave the value 122 to, you would go
myPlayer.locationsVisited[122] = true;

Then, say a few minutes later, your player gets hit by an orc and loses 5 hitpoints.

myPlayer.currentHitpoints -=5;

Make sense?

Wait... when you say "flags" are you talking about boolean flags? When you say 2 to 20 values, do you mean 2 to 20 BOOLEAN values that may be related, or do you mean a single integral "flag" that can hold up to 20 distinct values (as opposed to on or off).

If you mean the former, think about a bitmask. An int, for example, has 32 bits in it (presumably for now), any one of which can be set to 0 or 1. Is this what you are talking about? Or are you talking about an enumeration, where you actually number things?

If you mean the latter, then the other answers seem to be working out.

I realized my earlier response may have read your question wrong.

First off. Stop thinking about memory usage. You are talking about such a trivial small amount of data that it isnt even worth optomizing. This isnt exactly the type of thing that you are going to be using in a tight rendering loop that is going to be called thousands of times.

Frankly, I dont know what language you are programming in, but if its either C++, C# or Java, and you want to store a random number of values, your best bet is probrably to use a dictionary or map. These are basically sets of key/value pairs, so you can do something like ( in pseudo code )

myFlags.Add("PlayerJustVomited", true);

then later down the road, when you need to do a test, its the simple syntax:

myFlags["PlayerJustVomited"] which would return the value true.

You really wont beat that for readability of code.

I agree with Seraph. Unless you're developing for a console or something else where you have to conserve every byte of memory that you can, I would go for readability over efficiency unless you have good evidence that something is hurting your performance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!