• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zaku

cheapest/free server?

This topic is 4261 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

where is the cheapest/free server for a mmorpg that i could use? where can i find it? im on a budget [Edited by - Zaku on September 21, 2006 5:39:45 AM]

Advertisement
The one your using right now would be my suggestion until you have more than 15 simultaneous players. IP Address (for internal testing): 127.0.0.1

If you're in the US, wait until Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and pick yourself up one of the many $199 desktop machines that'll be available at your local electronics retailer. Put LAMP on it, and you'll have at least enough server to get you started.

Anyone beat that?

For a long term server with a very decent connection(*), the French company Iliad (well, one of its subsidiary) has a very interesting deal: 160GB linux servers where you can install whatever you want, 100MBit/s connection (on a 10Gbit/s network), unlimited bandwidth, 29.99€/month (+19.6% VAT). I don't think it can be beaten easily. Info here (in French, although google translation services can give your understandable results).

(*): long term is relative. You can use this service for 3 months, 3 years or whatever time you want to use it. You subscription can be cancelled at any time, but there's a 40 day delay between your cancellation and the effective cancellation of the service.

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
If you're in the US, wait until Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and pick yourself up one of the many $199 desktop machines that'll be available at your local electronics retailer. Put LAMP on it, and you'll have at least enough server to get you started.

Anyone beat that?

It's a good suggestion, but I think the main problem is what you hook it up to. Most ISPs don't allow you to host a server of any kind, and some even firewall all incoming connections.

If you're in that situation, check Google or WebHostingTalk or vpschoice.com for an unmanaged Linux VPS. A prototype MMO server hosting maybe 100-200 players in a smallish world should NOT require much memory or disk space. You're looking at $10-20/month.

hmm, prototpye? watcha mean by that? do u mean like any really cheap server, or something else?

cheapest/free server?

Xbox hardmodded into a linux LAMP.

Will run you at least a few players no worries, has network capabilities, can be plugged to a tv if you need to monitor the server, uses free OS (xebian based on debian), doesnt need mouse or keyboard if you ssh from your own machine and finally can be locked in a drawer and left working for a long long time.

My website is running on a modded xbox and has been on for 4 weeks now non stop locked into a drawer.
I only reset it once after one week so that I could read the bios motherboard temp (54c). I am using an xbox because my old computer was set into a micro case and now it overheats after one day non stop... (really nice idea: buy a smaller case so that the computer can be hidden from view... only problem is that it really needs to cool off since cpu and psu are practically on top of each other coupled with the gpu!)

Biggest problems are low memory and uplink speed.

It will work fine for prototyping an MMO.

Personally I would advise you to use your own machine like Illumini suggested and then once you have something that actually is ready for testing buying a new machine for yourself and converting your current one into a server.

Again remember this will only allow you to host your own game using your current connection which will surely lack in terms of uplink speed. If you really want to allow others to play then you are stuck with getting a proper connection/host.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!