• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sofakng

Can anybody recommend a C++ book? (intermediate/advanced)

This topic is 4444 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently a Delphi developer (my day job) but at my company we only write custom web application/database stuff, so we never really get into anything advanced. However, I know enough about pointers, objects, etc, to consider myself an "intermediate" level programmer. Well, I'm looking to write a game involving physics and multiplayer capability, and that pretty much means I need C++ if I want to use any existing engines (eg. HGE, RakNet, ODE, etc). With that said, I know enough about C++ to write basic programs and I can even write simple objects but thats about it. When it comes to multiple inheritance, templates, advanced memory allocation, advanced pointers, and other advanced C++ stuff I'm pretty lost. So can anybody recommend me a C++ book? What concepts are important to learn for writing a multiplayer game in C++? Any suggestions available on Safari (www.safaribooksonline.com) is a bonus Smile Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Advertisement
Well you already know a good deal about programming it seems so I would recommend Bjarne Stroustroup's book The C++ Programming Language. Bjarne is the creator of the language (along with some other guys at Bell Labs I believe) and this book is very well written. Generally it's not for the beginner programmer, but because you already have a decent grasp on some core concepts, I'd say it's just what the doctor ordered :)

As a side note, learning C++ isn't necessarily required to make networked games with physics. EVE Online is a space-based MMO that was written in stackless Python (with a bit of C backend if I remember correctly). But C++ is a great place to start!

Quote:
Original post by Morpheus011
Well you already know a good deal about programming it seems so I would recommend Bjarne Stroustroup's book The C++ Programming Language. Bjarne is the creator of the language (along with some other guys at Bell Labs I believe) and this book is very well written. Generally it's not for the beginner programmer, but because you already have a decent grasp on some core concepts, I'd say it's just what the doctor ordered :)

As a side note, learning C++ isn't necessarily required to make networked games with physics. EVE Online is a space-based MMO that was written in stackless Python (with a bit of C backend if I remember correctly). But C++ is a great place to start!

I have to second that recommendation. That is probrably the only C++ book you will ever need.

Oh, and C++ in a Nutshell and Thinking in C++ are two great books when you are just picking up the language with prior programming experience.

Um... so, those are the only three C++ books you will ever need! :)

"Effective C++: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Design" by Scott Meyers.

This guy is a C++ guru, with lots of really good advice.

Most of these kinds of books tell you all the dos and don'ts of C++, but never really give any real reasoning of why you should take their advice.

Meyers actually explains the logic behind his advice, and really does explain how to use C++ as a very effective programming tool (and how to write rock-solid industrial strength code that will never crash).

I'd also recommend Effective C++ by Scott Meyers. Pick up More Effective C++ too if you can. I got them both together on a CD, and let me tell you, I learned a heck of a lot! They are perfect for intermediate/advanced c++ learners.

I'm learning C++ , and I find 'Accelerated C++' a brilliant book, no flannel just straight in, it can be a bit daunting to start but worth the work. Another good one is 'Essential C++' again for programmers. A very handy book to keep around is 'C++ in a Nutshell' some very helpful stuff in that book.

Besides the usual recommendations, i really liked "Professional C++" from Wrox. It hits pretty hard on subjects like complicated templates and exceptions (and probably a lot of other things you didn't know existed). It's also newer (2005), which is also nice.

Another nod for "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++".

"C++ Common Knowledge", "Exceptional C++ style", and "C++ Coding Standards" were worth the read.

Of course, I don't agree with everything that's in those books, but that (almost) goes without saying.

Do you know STL well?
Along with Meyer, "The C++ Standard Library"(Josuttis) should be on your
bookshelf.
For more libaries in Boost the book "Beyond the C++ Standard Library"(Karlsson) is
helpful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!