How to position a sphere and click on it

Started by
4 comments, last by Lord_Evil 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I have 2 questions I hope someone can answer me! This is my code for the drawing/rendering: //Draw the axes glBegin(GL_LINES); glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f); //Red glVertex3i(0,0,0); glVertex3i(300,0,0); glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f); //Blue glVertex3i(0,0,0); glVertex3i(0,300,0); glColor3f(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f); //Green glVertex3i(0,0,0); glVertex3i(0,0,300); //Draw sphere number 1 glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f); //White GLUquadric *myQuad; GLdouble radius = 3.0; GLint slices, stacks; myQuad=gluNewQuadric(); slices = stacks = 10; gluSphere( myQuad , radius , slices , stacks ); //Draw sphere number 2 glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f); //Red myQuad=gluNewQuadric(); gluSphere( myQuad , radius , slices , stacks ); //Draw sphere number 3 glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f); //Blue myQuad=gluNewQuadric(); gluSphere( myQuad , radius , slices , stacks ); glEnd(); Question #1: This code places all the spheres at the origin, no surprise since this is stated in the definition of the gluSphere function. But how can I set the position to whatever I want? Question #2: How can I be notified when the user clicks on one of the spheres? I also need to know which of the spheres that were clicked? Very greatful for any help here! Cheers!
Advertisement
For every sphere:

glPushMatrix() //save the current matrix
glTranslatef(pox.x,pos.y,pos.z) //move sphere to pos
glPopMatrix() //restore saved matrix

What you want to do is picking.

Be warned: that's an advanced feature to implement.

You could do it yourself:

Create a ray from the camera pos (from mouse position) into your world space, get the nearest sphere it hits.
This would require you to project two points from screenspace to worldspace, then test each sphere (or use some spatial information for optimization)

Or use OpenGL picking. Don't have a tutorial right now, you can find one in the "OpenGL Super Bible" or google "OpenGL picking".
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
Thanks for quick answer!

Sorry for the last post, writes it again.

I worked very well for sphere #2 and #3. But not for sphere #1.

The code is now like this;

//Draw sphere number 1
glPushMatrix(); //save the current matrix
glTranslatef(100.0,100.0,100.0); //move sphere to pos
glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f); //White
GLUquadric *myQuad;
GLdouble radius = 3.0;
GLint slices, stacks;
myQuad=gluNewQuadric();
slices = stacks = 10;
gluSphere( myQuad , radius , slices , stacks );
glPopMatrix(); //restore saved matrix

//Draw sphere number 2
glTranslatef(10.0,10.0,10.0); //move sphere to pos
glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f); //Red
myQuad=gluNewQuadric();

//Draw sphere number 3
glTranslatef(20.0,20.0,20.0); //move sphere to pos
glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f); //Blue
myQuad=gluNewQuadric();

Again, thank you very much!
What's the problem with sphere #1? Doesn't show up any more?
If yes, could be your far clip plane, try setting position to some smaller value like 50.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
the problem is that it is at position (0,0,0). I tried to set it to 25,25,25 also.

thx
Hm, can't see a problem in the code you posted.

Did you set GL_MODELVIEW matrix mode and set up your camera position before drawing the spheres?

Addition: I just saw you are drawing your spheres between those glBegin() glEnd() calls for the axes. Better you call glEnd() after finishing the axes as OpenGL is set up for drawing lines until then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement