• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Creating a game engine

This topic is 4168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say I want to create a layer for loads of different game librarys to handle everything... So I want to make an 'engine' built on other systems. e.g (Ogre, OIS, OpenAL, ODE) all implemented together to form a very easy to use game engine. What would be the best way to do this? For example how would the structure work? Cheers in advance David

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by win_crook
What would be the best way to do this?
For example how would the structure work?

That my friend is the million dollar question. The hardest part of creating a game engine is figuring out how all the systems will fit together.

My advice would be to create some sample projects with those librarys so that you get a good feel for how they work. After you have a better understanding of each component you can then begin to layout your overall structure.

Well, OGRE already has an existing interface to ODE, so need to worry about interfacing those two yourself.

Also, don't strive too much for 'Easy'. The 'Easier' (which by my book means 'simpler') an engine is to use, the more it tends to assume about what the programmer using it is trying to do.

Take a look at GOOF, Yake, and OGE.

I agree completely with the advice to make a game using these libraries. Then refactor mercilessly until you have the 'engine' part separate from the 'game' part. Then use the engine to make a completely different type of game, and modify the engine as needed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement