• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
akuda

Hierarchical scene - node orientation

This topic is 4411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've just implemented a math library for handling objects position&orientation in 3d space (matrices + vectors + quaternions = that's all now). Now, I want to represent a hierarchical scene. Basic idea of nodes (father/son & siblings) sounds good to me, but what if it comes to handling input? A mouse picking, based on ray-triangle test has to be implemented. So the basic idea was to "just store the inversed model-view matrix" for every model. And here the doubts comes: Should I handle a global "absoulte" coordinate system, and store (for every node) a pair matrix & inverse to allow direct absoulte<->local transformations? Or maybe, I should just to store father<->son matrices? Which one is better for space-partitioning algorithms, like octrees? Should these matrices be precalculated, and then transformed every frame (when animation occurs) or better should they be built every frame for a pair <vector, quaternion> ? Yeah, when it comes to designing, it's all about experience, isn't it?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!