Game development my dream. Can this be achieved without relocating?

Started by
20 comments, last by xEricx 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by yaustar
That's interesting. During my search for jobs in UK, I found that all the Junior Programmers, a lot of the companies wanted at least a degree in BSc, many of which wanted a 1st Honours as well. The strange thing is that not all the companies that I got interviewed by looked at my Portfolio which I found odd.

That's an example of how things are becoming formal. It's not the case everywhere but it is slowly starting to take hold more and more.

I should also mention that a lot of jobs in the industry are filled by people knowing other people. I guess I should have pointed out that the jobs I was offered were from friends I know working at various studios in the area. I've never before sat down for a formal interview. So my further advice is to start meeting people. And I don't mean meet them to get a job, I mean meet them and get to know them and build real friendships with them, and they'll be more than happy to help you out when you need it.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Sorry, I did skip a few posts (I'm reading between builds)...

I'm French, from Montreal, with only a "AEC" degree (cegep without philosophy / french). I've been working for a little over 5 years in Montreal's game industry (2,5 years for Microids, 2,5 years for Ubi). My degree did impact the speed at which I was able to get to work on interesting stuff, but as soon as I proved them I could handle anything, degree wasn't ever mentionned again.

As for the Campus, its a graduate degree so you'd need to get a Uni degree to apply. In my opinion, its not worth it, unless you know next to nothing about how to make a game.

If you've got any question or anything you'd like translated about the industry in Montreal, feel free to PM / mail me.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement