• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Erzengeldeslichtes

VC7 compiler in VC8?

This topic is 4345 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a DLL that has to be compiled using VC 2003 (otherwise it won't work in the EXE which is closed source), but I've become spoiled on Visual Studio 2005. Is it possible to use Visual Studio 8 as the IDE for editing a solution, but when you hit F5 or Build or whatnot, have it compile using VC7's compiler and linker? Simply redirecting the binary path to VC7's binaries results in the compiler returning an error code.

Advertisement
What is the error code? have you looked it up? Theoretically what you want to do should be possible, but it shouldn't be as easy as just changing the paths alone :)

The error is:
Quote:
From Compiler Output
error PRJ0002 : Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\cl.exe'.

(Just FYI, that's 0xC0000136)
MSDN says "To resolve this error, be more informative on error conditions." I think they meant that toward cl.exe...
Google remains unhelpful in this area. I've searched quite a bit to see if this is possible but I'm not pulling up any information on the possibility of using a different compiler.

I've checked the command line: it won't let me use the single threaded runtime library switch that I need, but all the switches I see are valid commandline switches for the 2k3 compiler.

I should mention that it returns the error before it even attempts to build anything.

[Edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on September 22, 2006 2:54:57 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!