games by c++

Started by
8 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 17 years, 7 months ago
in the name of god hi why the most of the comersial software and the games writen by c++ ,no by c#?
Advertisement
I think that the main important is "Speed" and take control in level of hardware component. Also the previous (I mean that in the past) game library or game engine was developed/written by C/C++.

It is very easy and convenience to pickup the worte code for writing the new game and reduce time to market of game...

Just my opinion
Regards,
C# has been around only for few years. C++ has been used nearly two decades, C has been available over decade longer than C++. Also, C# is (nearly) Windows-only language, there are dozens of platforms without C# support but which have C or C++ support. C# also isn't the fastest language around. And the industry really does not change in just few years. Nobody will abandon millions and millions of lines of C++ code and move to C#. If C# takes over C/C++, it will easily take 10-15 years at least.
The other thing is portability. C# is practically used only in Windows environment. C++ game using OpenGL is portable to any OS.
-- SirMike - http://www.sirmike.org
The industry is slow to adopt new technologies, and for many years now will say that they don't use C# for "performance" reasons, even after that has ceased to be true (the industry never updates its performance metrics, either).

The primarily reason, however, is one of a) legacy code and b) lock-in to a particular subset of platforms (those with CLR implementions) that restricts diversity and negates the development-time performance boost of a language like C#.
C# is new, so it isn't widely used in the field. It isn't adopted quickly by the industry because it isn't used much in the field, and won't by until it gets widely adopted by the industry. It's a minor catch-22 situation, so it just takes a while. Just look at how long it took C++ to be accepted. As time goes on, chances are that it will become more popular, even if it never gets quite as ubiquitous as C++ today.
Read this: thread 1
And this: thread 2
In my professional opinion and from what I've observed in the industry, most game development is done in C++ because that is what will run on all major platforms (PC, X-Box/X-Box 360, PS2/PS3, GameCube/Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP). If you start game development with C#, you immediately limit your potential customer base to PC and X-Box/X-Box 360. And remember, the PS2 currently has the largest install base (outside of PCs).
I personally prefer C++. For some reason I don't like coding in C#. I just prefer C++ style. One place I might prefer C# is tools development but I just don't like to use it as the tool for the actual game core. And I've only recently moved to C++ from Delphi so I don't think it is due to me not wanting to change which might be the case with some people.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Hi.

This is the fourth time this year you've asked this question.

We do not need a new thread.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement