Dr. Livingston I presume....

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 6 months ago
Just a concept here, but one I would like to explore a bit. I'm a fan of generated worlds. One's where the computer, through directions and rules made by the designer is the one that actually creates the game world from nothing. One game I think that would work well with this is an exploration game. I have two in mind. The first game would be a trading/exploration game. You start off with a small town, exploring the land around you and trading with nearby towns and cities. As you gain money you create land caravans with neighboring towns, eventually buying ships and trading with the "New World." All of this on maps that are never the same from one game to the next. The map would be tile based similar to Civilization games. The other one would be more of a Pitfall game where you play a treasure hunter exploring a land full of caves and mountains looking for gold, silver, and jewels. This would be a 3d world looking similar to Oblivion. Again, different each time you started a new game. What do you think?
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Advertisement
Civilization worked fine, Diablo worked fine. There is nothing wrong with the concept. But they use world generation as a raw material, they do not except it to create content. Right now, the non-repetitiveness of games comes from human generated content. A compelling content-generating algorithm has yet to be seen...

You can maybe find a few threads in the Artificial Intelligence forum dealing with this.

I always liked the exploration phase of the Civ games.....

Source of the Nile (a board game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Of_The_Nile

A conquistador themed game might be good.

One problem with auto generated maps is their lack of coordinated/realistic
patterns of scenery and associated details. It takes alot of work on the generating functions to get a system that does a good job to make a series of interesting/challenging map (and to make it non-repetative). The geography is
only the start. Filling in the details and props and clues (and coordinated quests / interelated details) is a much larger task.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement