• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

3ds model problem

This topic is 4172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'm wondering whether anyone could tell me why this happens with my model: my problem http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7202/modelshotmn8.jpg I created a model in 3ds max and exported it as a 3ds, then imported it again as a 3ds, and the lighting appears to be broken :( It's okay when I render it, but the problem is that I load it into my game and it looks the same as the one on the right. Does anybody know why this happens? or how i can fix it? Thanks!!

Advertisement
Hey im having that problem as well, when modelling simple things. It is fine when im making the model but when i export it as the 3ds, certain things, mostly cylinders do that. Would be interested to see what people have to say as well. Thanks.

I haven't used 3dsMax for some years now (back in the 4.2 time), but I think you're having a problem with the vertex normals. I'm not quite sure why this happens, however, maybe it's something with your modeling technique (using too much booleans, for example, tends to screw things up like this).

Fixing these normals is not very complicated if you understand them. 3d Studio uses 'smoothing groups'. To fix them, simply select you Editable Mesh, and click on 'Faces'. Now, select some faces, and make sure they have the same smoothing groups (a bunch of nubered buttons somewhere down in the right panel).

If two faces have a same smoothing group, then the polygon made of them will be curved. That should happen on the side of the cylinder. On your pic, some top faces of the cylinder have the same smoothing group as the side faces, and that's what makes your model look wrong, because it will treat the side and the top as the same polygon, and curves it.

If I wasn't too clear, ask again, or check 3d Studio's help (or google) on smoothing groups, I'm sure it will help. :)

I never understood smoothing groups but i guess it's time i looked at them :D

Thanks for the help Johnny

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement