• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Verminox

Debuggers

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I read an article here on GameDev.net about the usefullness of debuggers, but all that I have with me is the GNU Project's GDB which came as a package with Dev-C++. Is it just me or does that have very limited features? I havn't been able to figure out how to view most of the stuff that I read could be done using MS Visual C++ 2005's debugger. The problem is that I don't currently have enough cash to buy Visual Studio so until then can someone suggest some good free debuggers which are high featured? Or are there none :( ?

Advertisement
I've heard that the express editions has limitations though, which is why I did not download it. I'll give it a try though.

Quote:
Original post by Verminox
I've heard that the express editions has limitations though, which is why I did not download it. I'll give it a try though.
The only real limitations is they can't compile 64-bit apps, and they don't have profilers and suchlike. They're more than sufficient for hobby use, and even for professional development to some extent.

If you need an IDE, the general concensus is that MSVC is the best out there.
However, if it's just a (low-level) debugger you're after, you really can't beat OllyDbg. It performs excellently without source and it keeps track of just about everything you can dream of.

Regards
Admiral

TheAdmiral: Just downloaded it... it's awesome, but since it runs without using the source, it can't tell me what variable has what memory location in the CPU. I need something that can help me figure out where I am getting all these access violations from because I've re-read the source hundreds of times and I can't figure out where I have erred.

I use GDB all the time though it's mostly used after the fact. Our game server will generate a large core dump file and then email the developers a basic stacktrace and then I can ssh into the server machine and use gdb to examine the core dump to get a better idea of what went wrong. However, it can be complicated to understand and set stuff up. All the features are there but they are just not a button click away.

I am assuming you are in Windows but in Linux there are several GUI debuggers that wrap around gdb to give you the nice windows and trees.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!