angelscript and xcode 2.4

Started by
42 comments, last by urkle 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by WitchLord
Do you have access to Linux on a PPC machine? I'm guessing the assembly routines have to be different for Linux and Mac OS X, at least slightly, due to different ABIs.

Right now, no I don't. I may try getting either FC5 or FC6 when it is released installed on my MacMini. I'm hoping the bootcamp CD will boot and run on a PPC so that I can use the file system resizing utility on there so I don't have to reinstall everything on the Mini (not a fun thing to look forward to unfortunately). Though I have a feeling from reading through the ABI for Mac OS X that it is more how the architecture (PPC) does calling and that it would be the same calling conventions for Linux PPC as well. I'll have to do some more research.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm happy you have the patience to really look into this. It's really appreciated.

No problem. It gets it so I can use the scripting engine in the game that I'm porting (which will have some income, so consider that the game is funding the work on angelscript). And it betters angelscript overall. As you saw from my website I'm a big supporter of Open Source software and have contributed to a LOT of projects out there. And this will get Code::Blocks working on the PPC too:-D I still need to get around to playing with that on my Linux box. Ahh the search for a good IDE. Haven't seen on of those in a LONG time.
Advertisement
Just commited revision 70 which adds proper treatment of literal constants of 8bit and 16bit values. I don't have access to sourceforge's compile farm from where I am now, so I can't test it on PPC. But hopefully it should be fully working now. I'll do more tests during the weekend.

Well, there is at least one difference, the bool type is only 1 byte on Linux/PPC. I think there will be other differences as well, though hopefully only subtle ones.

Yes, Penumbra looks like a good game. I feel honored that AngelScript is used for it. :D

Unfortunately Code::Blocks is no longer using AngelScript as their scripting engine. They switched to Squirrel some time ago now. Mainly due to AngelScript's lack for 64bit and PPC support at the time.

I don't think they'll switch back as there is considerable amount of work done already using Squirrel.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I'm pleased to announce that AngelScript is now fully working on Linux/PPC (rev 71). All of the tests pass successfully in compatibility mode. Hopefully it should be working on Mac OS X/PPC as well. Let me know if there's something that still doesn't work.

I discovered yet another compiler difference yesterday, it turns out that on the Linux/PPC that I was testing on the 'char' type was unsigned by default. I had to add some 'signed char' type casts due to it, where I normally use just 'char'. I'll have to add some safeguards against this as well.

Hopefully we'll also have support for native calling conventions on PPC soon. But I think I'll leave that for Edward Rudd, or whoever else want to give it a try, as I would like to get back to implementing the coming features.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote:Original post by WitchLord
I'm pleased to announce that AngelScript is now fully working on Linux/PPC (rev 71). All of the tests pass successfully in compatibility mode. Hopefully it should be working on Mac OS X/PPC as well. Let me know if there's something that still doesn't work.

Swwetness. I'll be testing this later tonight to make sure things didn't break

Quote:
I discovered yet another compiler difference yesterday, it turns out that on the Linux/PPC that I was testing on the 'char' type was unsigned by default. I had to add some 'signed char' type casts due to it, where I normally use just 'char'. I'll have to add some safeguards against this as well.

OK, that is REALLY odd.. i mean REALLY..
Quote:
Hopefully we'll also have support for native calling conventions on PPC soon. But I think I'll leave that for Edward Rudd, or whoever else want to give it a try, as I would like to get back to implementing the coming features.

I have a functional native calling procedure working right now. (except for double parameters and I haven't actually tested it with more than two parameters right now.. but it *should* work)

I will be throwing more tests at it and then integrate it into angelscript. Though i did find an article documenting the differences between the ABI of Linux/PPC versus Mac OS X/PPC so, as it stands this will ONLY work on OS X/PPC.
Once FC6 is released (scheduled next week) I'm going to try and install it on my Macmini and start testing/learning the ABI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement