Genetically engineering a permanent kitten

Started by
33 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:Original post by su
mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.

If you start to yell at me for no reason and try to bite my calf, I will.

you are right on that, and thank you for pointing that out :) this is self defense and is entirely different than kicking a sleeping puppy sleeping on the sideway. Thanks for the point.
Advertisement
Someone already mentioned it in the linked items thread, but the first thing I thought after seeing that this revolved around intentionally introducing dwarfism was that was a horrible way of ensuring it had major health problems.

Being a dwarf is not a medically sound condition. Take a look at dwarfism in humans sometime - the social challenges dwarfs/midgets face pales in comparison to the medical problems created by their condition - mostly in relation to the proper formation of bones and joints (basically their spines and joints are screwed up beyond belief), but they also sometimes suffer from problems in relation to their lungs and heart.

Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.
Quote:Original post by Michalson
It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.

I've got a really sharp knife we can use! Lets do this!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.

Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

Quote:
Los Angeles- An American company on Monday began offering what it touted as the world's first hypo-allergenic cats - felines specially bred without the specific gene protein that causes allergies in sensitive humans. The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

The animals were developed by scientists at the San Diego-based company Allerca using natural breeding techniques. According to company spokesman Stephen May, scientists identified the protein "Fel d1" as the cause of allergies and then found a female with extremely low levels of the protein to start its breeding programme.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.

I think your right. Yes baby cats look a hell of a lot cuter, but I think your absolutely right in that a lot of the fun is because they are curious and have energy.

Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?

Depends. How much are these mini cats?
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.

A lot of pure breed dogs are more disposed to genetic problems due to inbreeding. Should people be allowed to breed thouroughbred dogs then since it increases the risk of health problems? Aren't these just two different degrees of genetic manipulation?

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

Even better than crack because it is non-addictive and has no negative effects to their health or your wallet.
Quote:Original post by frob

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.

The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement