Art schools

Started by
1 comment, last by illinfinite 17 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice here. I have applied to several diffirent art schools and am having a hard time deciding between them. Some of the schools include The Art Institute and the University of Advancing Technology (I was looking into Westwood also but then heard some bad things about it) Does anyone have any knowledge as far as a good school for 3D modeling and animation? Also, I am obviously interested in eventually ending up in the game industry but I understand that it's exactly an easy buisness to get into so would it be a good idea to shoot for a more general degree in, say.....media arts and animation so that I have more job opportunities than just in the gaming industry or should I focus on the specifics of game art and design? I also ask because I have heard to watch out for those game specific types of degrees. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot
Advertisement
If you want to do art for games, get a Bachelors of Fine Arts from a 4 year accreditted institution, in 3D animation or whatever else (not so important), and have a phenomonal portfolio. As far as I know, most studios care little where the students graduated from (as long as its a BFA, and obviously there are some really good schools that do matter), its the portfolio that proves the quality of the individual. They'll hire someone with a killer portfolio who went to Art Institute rather than a mediocre portfolio from RISD (or wherever).

However, I do encourage you to go to a real university (even better, a dedicated art school) if possible, you will get a much more well rounded education and experience.
-------------www.robg3d.com
I am going to the Art Institute of Orange County - California. So far I am enjoying my time here. It's alot of work because its an accelerated program, but so far so good. Recently former students who now work in the game industry talked about their experiences. They pretty much said the education here is valuable, but what really matters is you don't coast through the system and come out with a awesome portfolio and demo reel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement