how do u get an original position of an object?

Started by
11 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 6 months ago
say for example if i have a char that jumps and i want it to have the original y position before it jumped so i can know where the ground is?
Advertisement
Why don't you copy the original position into another variable before changing the position with the jump.
well yeah i done that but i have fall method aswell like when you get hit u fall back, so i was wondering how would i get the ground position for it? for the jump i know the ground becasue when i press jump i copy the the y position to another variable before it gets updated, but for fall i want to know an algorithm to get original y position?
If you would post some code it would be easier to give you advice on how to handle it.
You would be better off to store the ground position explicitly, instead of calculating it. Then use collision detection to determine when to stop the player from falling.
bool Character::isFall(){	float speed = 5.4;	if(fall)	{		hEffect = true;		tempVelY -= 0.9; // Upseed		if(tempVelY <= -14) tempVelY = -14; //Downspeed		posy -= tempVelY;		if(faceDirX > 1)posx += (speed - weight);		if(faceDirX < -1)posx -= (speed - weight);		}	if(posy >= ground && fall)	{		fallCount++;		weight = 1.43;		tempVelY = (22 - 2.3);	}	if(fallCount >= bounces)	{		fall = false;		tempVelY = 22;		fallCount = 0;		weight  = 0;		posy = ground;		hEffect = false;		alpha = 255;		hTimer = 0;	}		return fall;}
basically i need to find ground when fall is true, with jump i got the jump button to help out for finding the position but for fall i want to find out for itself?
?
I don't think I understand the problem here. What is the purpose of the "fall" variable?
What you need to do is check to see if the players position is colliding with something in the world, if it is, you need to push them back to where they'd be sitting on top of the object that they collided with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement