Sign in to follow this  
robydx

rolling friction with ode

I'm developing a game using ODE physics engine. I've a sphere on a plane. When I apply a force to the sphere I expext that friction will stop the sphere but it doesn't. The sphere continues to roll ignoring the friction. With certain value the sphere doesn't roll but slides on the surface. How can I force the sphere to stop moving? I've tried to modify every value in callback but also with mu = dInfinity the sphere doesn't stop. Can you help me?

If my mind doesn't decieve me, a perfect sphere on a perfectly smooth inclined plane will roll whatever the coefficient of friction, as the frictional force exerts a couple on the sphere which starts it rotating.

Simplest way is to simply add a universal damping (linear and rotational) everywhere.

Slightly more complicated way would be to do this, but increase it for any object with at least one contact point.

If it's just for a game, I guess you don't need anything more complicated/accurate than this?

yes, is just a game, I only need that ball can stop quickly when the force disappear.
For universal damping what you mean?
I'm Italian and I worked not so much with ode so I don't know some terms.
Thank you