Advanced C++ user looking for a good book

Started by
7 comments, last by Simian Man 17 years, 6 months ago
I have been using C++ for about 5 years now and want to really refine my skills. What book would you recommend for my to sharpen my skills, I'm not looking for just a pure reference book though. Also it needn't be specific to game programing thought that would be a plus if it were.
Advertisement
The C++ Programming Language I think is the definitive work for all things C++, hell it was written by Bjarne Stroustrup himself (the developer of the language if you didn't know) and covers all sorts of topics that will make you an expert C++ programmer.
I'm assuming you know the language and are looking to go beyond it's syntax and delve into deeper programming practices. You may want to look into design patterns and template programming. Another book I always recommend is The Pragmatic Programmer for general programming practices (not C++-centric but invaluable nonetheless).
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
There are actually some well known books for improving your specific knowledge with C++:

Effective C++
More Effective C++
C++ Coding Standards
Modern C++ Design
C++ Templates

Pretty much any advanced/expert level C++ programmer I know have read the first three, most have read the last two. If I had to recommend two I above all I would have to say Effective C++ and C++ Coding Standards are the two best.
Quote:Original post by coderx75
I'm assuming you know the language and are looking to go beyond it's syntax and delve into deeper programming practices. You may want to look into design patterns and template programming. Another book I always recommend is The Pragmatic Programmer for general programming practices (not C++-centric but invaluable nonetheless).
Well no you assume incorrectly. I have 2 of those 3 already, I don't have the template programming one. What I want is C++ specific knowledge. I already "know" the language top to bottom, meaning there isn't any C++ code out there you could present to me that I couldn't tell you what it was doing(baring some complicated and/or bad, logic or algorithm).

Ok for example: I know what templates are and how to use them. I want to know how and when to use them to maximum effectiveness and all the quirks involved in that. I know what the const keyword is and about const correctness, but I want to know all the finner points about using it, when and when not to and why. I know a good chunck of the STL, enough to use containers, manipulates strings and use I/O streams, and for things I'm unsure of I can muttle through using MSDN, but I don't have what I would call a firm grasp on the STL at all.

Things like this. There lots of others and probably some unknown unknowns as well.

Quote:Original post by Saruman
There are actually some well known books for improving your specific knowledge with C++:

Effective C++
More Effective C++
C++ Coding Standards
Modern C++ Design
C++ Templates

Pretty much any advanced/expert level C++ programmer I know have read the first three, most have read the last two. If I had to recommend two I above all I would have to say Effective C++ and C++ Coding Standards are the two best.
How about if you had to recommend just one? I can only read one book at a time and I'm not made of money, I may get the other later but for now I just need one.

Quote:Original post by Grain
How about if you had to recommend just one? I can only read one book at a time and I'm not made of money, I may get the other later but for now I just need one.

It's a hard decision but I would have to go with Scott Meyers 'Effective C++'.
I'd say, a thorough book would be Steve McConnels' Code Complete, the 2nd edition.

Really something way different than your down-to-guts algorithms only book.
This is a little off topic but you said about how you don't want to spend too much money on books. You can read most of those books online at Safari Books for $10 a month and they also have a free trial for so many days. Its good if you can stand reading books on the computer. I don't really like to, but for the good price I do. I did a quick look and found every book except More Effective C++, but it might be on there. Hopefully this is helpful.
Also, don't forget your local library. Mine had Meyer's Effective C++ and Effective STL, and I live in the middle of nowhere.

BTW I reccommend both [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement