Sign in to follow this  
AshleysBrain

Status of D3DX9 dll?

Hi, I've googled on this topic and found some old posts on it, but I'm wondering what the current situation is. I'm using the Feb 05 SDK which uses d3dx9_24.dll, which would entail sending this DLL to everyone who uses our programs - extremely inconvenient in our specific circumstances. I have learnt from friends that Vista RC1 comes with just a "d3dx9.dll", but XP does not have this. I would love to go and get the latest SDK, but apparently I can't install it on my Windows 2000 computer. Nice one Microsoft, do .h files not work on 2000 any more or what? Sheesh. Anyways, my questions are: - Which version of the SDK uses d3dx9.dll? This seems like the best idea. - Is there any option of static linking in newer SDKs? - What is the current proliferation of d3dx9* DLLs? Has Microsoft sent them to everyone over Windows Update? Is there any version I can use in confidence that everyone has it? I really don't want to have to require every user to install the D3DX DLL if it comes to that. Imagine having a load of small shareware games that are designed for people to send to their friends to have a quick go. Heading over to MS to download and run a D3DX installer is gonna cripple that. At this rate, I'd rather roll back to the even ancient-er SDK and static link it. Advice?

Quote:
Original post by AshleysBrain
Thanks. It seems I am forced to send around DirectX redists. But how do I set up the SDK to use d3dx9.dll that comes with the Vista RCs?

you don't.
you use the d3dx9 that comes with the sdk you used to compile. If the user doesn't have it install, you include the redist in your installer or provide a link to the web setup.

LeGreg