Pose, proportion, anatomy

Started by
21 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 6 months ago
New drawings from Saturday

I have a houseguest visiting from London, and on Saturday we went into the city so she could do some shopping. She met up with her cousin, also a girl, which means that I went shopping with two women. After that experience, I have pretty much vowed not to go shopping for anything other than furniture with women, ever.

Anyway, during my copious downtime sitting idly around while the women cavorted through the fabric and leather wonderlands of SoHo, I drew. I had the foresight to bring along printouts of references and my sketchbooks. Below are the fruits of my labors.

(I switched to a 2B pencil throughout for the second drawing, Posing Nude, which is still very much a work in progress. I may be ditching the H pencil as a crutch, which should also yield some better scans. In fact, I'm thinking about picking up some charcoal pencils. What are recommendations for scanning charcoals without smudging? Clear transparencies?)

Mother and Child

Posing Nude

Personal Comments

I still feel that I am inhibited about making mistakes, in that the way I approach a drawing is as though it must be perfect on the first try. I think I need to be willing to just draw and draw and draw, doing pieces over and over if need be - studies, if you will - to dispel what I read described somewhere (I believe by van Gogh in a letter to his brother who had encouraged him to study painting) as "the paper saying to the artist, 'You know nothing.'"

Comments and crit, as always.
Advertisement
For the record, I'm no artist.

In both pictures of the nude (white) model you seem to draw the her buttocks larger than what it seems to be. To me that throws the proportion off everytime. I do really like the sketch of the mother and child. That was very well done.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
In both pictures of the nude (white) model you seem to draw the her buttocks larger than what it seems to be. To me that throws the proportion off everytime.

Hmm. You're right. I guess, while drawing her, I was thinking

...Plus I'm the new phenomenon / like white women with ass...

Consequently, I may have overstated her rear endowment.

Quote:I do really like the sketch of the mother and child. That was very well done.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement