Sign in to follow this  
Funkymunky

[web] some Flash questions

Alright I started learning flash today. I'm approaching a decade on my C++ experience, so flash is pretty damn easy. I have 2 questions though. First off, why do I see some examples having "stop();" as the first line of code? Now then, my real question goes like this. I've been doing a lot of shader programming in the past year. I was wondering if it's possible to do per-pixel manipulation of stuff in Flash? (for stuff like fire, for example) I know you can't access the gpu with flash, I just want to know if there's a way to do per-pixel stuff like we used to back in the days of DOS.

Yes, flash or rather actionscrip 2.0 is pretty easy with some c++ expereince. Just dont forget that flash swallows all errors silently. So type "funyVariable" instead of "funnyVariable" and flash will silently create a new variable with that name. ie you can get some very hard to find bugs.

The reason for the stop() command is because you want the code to take control of what is beeing played. Say you have your game on frame 1 and your bonus game or something on frame 2. You want flash to stop on frame 1 otherwise he will happily jump and play frame 2.

Depends on what flash version your aiming at. Atleast for <8 there isn't anyway. I think there might be possible in v >= 8. Not sure though. However actionscript is very slow so doing perpixel effects will probably not be feasable anyway. Well maybe in flash 9 that as just in time compilation.